Classic Rock Bottom

A LITTLE early, but I'm not gonna be much around the next couple of days, so here we go with Album of the week #51:

You might remember this band, or I am SURE some of you remember this band from a video I posted last year in VOTW, mostly because of the silly name of the band, because of something on american TV for children in the '70s. But try to look past the stupid band-name, because for me, the name is'nt more silly than Led Zeppelin or KISS, so just listen to this album, because I really, really like it. They ARE weird, especially the singer, and I'll guess he likes Queen and Freddie Mercury a lot, but I think they have some great songs, and a big sound, and I do like some humor in music, and especially the ending on my favorite track "Wanna-be Angel" cracks me up every time!! If I had bought this 2010-album last year, I'm sure it would had been on my Top-10 list, probably on 2nd place, and "Wanna-be Angel" would be in the Top-3 songs!!

From Wikipedia:

Foxy Shazam is an American rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio, formed in 2004. The band consists of lead vocalist Eric Sean Nally, guitarist Loren Turner, pianist Sky White and bass player Daisy. Later trumpeter and back-up vocalist Alex Nauth joined, and Aaron McVeigh became the band's permanent drummer. After forming, the band immediately recorded The Flamingo Trigger independently then committed to an extensive national touring regimen. Shortly there after, Foxy signed with Ferret Records and recorded their second album Introducing which was produced by Casey Bates (Chiodos, Portugal. The Man). and released on January 22, 2008. The following year, they recorded their first major label record with multi-platinum record producer, John Feldmann. Foxy Shazam signed with Sire Records (a subsidiary of Warner Brothers) and released their self titled major label debut in 2010.The band name originated from a slang phrase used by students at vocalist Eric Sean Nally's high school where Foxy Shazam meant "cool shoes". On February 7, 2010, their single Unstoppable was featured in Super Bowl XLIV. It was featured in the videogame, NHL 11, and as well as Cartoon Network's second live-action show: Tower Prep, as a theme song. It was also in a trailer for the movie Your Highness.

A quote from lead singer, Eric Sean Nally, about the band's influence: "When I listen to a Foxy Shazam record I think of Evel Knievel, Bruce Springsteen, my childhood, Van Morrison, my old friends from high school I don't talk to anymore, Elton John, the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and beyond, Iggy Pop and my first kiss. One of my favorite things to do when listening to my music is to close my eyes and picture a crowd of six million people all chanting "Foxy! Foxy! Foxy!" The lights go out and my band walks on stage. It gives me goose bumps. It all makes sense to me. When you listen to our record, think of your favorite things and it'll make sense to you as well. Foxy Shazam is not concerned with what category it falls into. We want to stand for our generation. We want to be the biggest band in the world. We want to be the Michael Jordan of Rock N' Roll." Foxy Shazam is the third studio album by Foxy Shazam released through Sire Records.

Favorite track: "Wanna-be Angel"

Favorite album-cut: "Second Floor" or "Evil Thoughts"

Most likely to skip: Connect

FOXY SHAZAM - FOXY SHAZAM

1.Intro/Bomb’s Away - 3:20
2.Wanna-Be Angel - 3:21
3.Count Me Out - 3:46
4.Bye Bye Symphony - 4:04
5.Unstoppable - 3:33
6.Second Floor - 3:59
7.Oh Lord - 4:10
8.Connect - 3:27
9.The Only Way to My Heart... - 4:43
10.Killin' It - 3:58
11.Evil Thoughts - 4:17
12.Teenage Demon Baby - 3:36 (Bonus-track)
13.Some Kind of Love - 3:07 (Bonus.track)

I KNOW.........that some of you "tough rocker's" won't like this album, and if I shall try and predict: RJhog will hate it, Scott might like bits, but mostly hate it, and Jon, well Jon, I have my hopes up for you, maybe Jon will like it, I mean he's a little weird himself, but anyway, do me a favor and LISTEN to this album, from one end to the other, because it really is a VERY good album!!!! (Oh, and anybody else can listen too, of course).

Click here:

http://www.podsnack.com/playlists/5bfa38e677c67922fde291424a596038

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool, that you like the album, Jon. Yeah , I'm practising too.
It hurts a little bit...

The prediction that I would like pieces and hate others is ...  well, we'll have to wait and see....

I hear more influence from the Bay City Rollers than I do the Darkness.  Though I hear that comparison in the vocal style, so I understand, but the music just isnt working for me.  I get a Saturday morning cartoon vibe from the bands image versus something I should take seriously and thats where the Bay City Roller thing is coming from.  I say that not to be silly or mean, it just seems theyre image is more contrived than natural and therefore the music seems a bit over the top in the same forced kind of way.  Maybe its just me...

Musically they are talented, there are moments of promise (like the opening to Killin' It) but the vocals kinda spoil the promise in those few tracks.

I think my feeling on this can be summed up using lyrics from the third track... "You can Count Me Out, Count Me Out, baby Count me Out, oh yeah!"

I predict, that I won't try to predict again.

Couldn't get into this too much. I just never have enjoyed what I call "opera style vocals". Definitely see the comparisons to Queen and The Darkness, just not for me. But I do appreciate the chance to hear music I've never heard before.

Keep up the good work, rockers!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos