Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 82 VAN HALEN - VAN HALEN (1978) (#1 FROM CRR)

Artist: Van Halen
Album: Van Halen
Producer: Ted Templeman
Band Members: David Lee Roth/Eddie Van Halen/Michael Anthony/Alex Van Halen
Singles: You Really Got Me/Runnin' With The Devil/Jamie's Cryin'/Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Best Single/Best Album Cut: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love/Atomic Punk (special mention for Eruption)
Best Of The Rest: Once again, everything
RIAA Certification: 10 X Platinum
Album Cover: 10/10

This week I'm gonna post my favorite album from CRR (that's the previous site that I posted AOTW on before Classic Rock Bottom was born. This is an album that has probably been played so much that most of you guys don't really care to hear it again. I can't say that I blame you, but I must say that this still has to be one of the best studio albums ever released, and in my opinion, the best debut album ever. Of course, I'm speaking of Van Halen's self-titled debut from 1978.

The funny thing is, it only reached #19 on the Pop Albums chart, and only two of the albums singles charted at all, and not particularly high. Yet it remains a favorite in the heart of so many rock fans, myself included. It may be the greatest guitar album ever, or at least in the Top 10. Would you believe Rolling Stone only ranked it at #415 on their list of 500 greatest albums of all time. I don't know about you, but that seems a bit low to me.

Anyway, you can certainly still acquire it quite easily if you don't already have it. And you can give it a listen if you want to. Hell, it's not like the reunited band (minus Michael A.) seem to be able to get their shit together whatsoever these days.

1. Runnin' With The Devil

2. Eruption

3. You Really Got Me

4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

5. I'm The One

6. Jamie's Cryin'

7. Atomic Punk

8. Feel Your Love Tonight

9. Little Dreamer

10. Ice Cream Man

11. On Fire

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with RJHog...one of the greatest guitar albums of all time. I was 18 when this came out, and had just begun to dabble with playing guitar myself. I had a bunch of friends who played guitar, and I just remember how this release changed peoples way of thinking when it came to playing guitar. Everybody wanted to play like this new cat, Eddie Van Halen.

One of the top "influential" albums in rock history, without a doubt. And I disagree totally with Eddie Trunk. "Eruption" does, of course, lead into "You Really Got Me", but there is a small space of silence (maybe 2 or 3 seconds) between those tracks. "Eruption" is an instrumental, seperate track, and in my opinion, the best of all time.

It was "Eruption" that made guitar players worldwide go "Holy cow, batman, WTF is this"??? "I have got to learn how he is doing some of this stuff"! I'm telling you, this album influenced more guitar players than any other in the history of rock! There are a lot of "honorable mentions" for this title, but this is still THE ONE!

Just curious Gordon, where would you say Spanish Fly ranks for guitar solos?  Or does it not count because it's acoustic?

I think it would count. And I think it's another awesome instrumental. And I think it was another influential piece of music. Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde) has several mind-blowing accoustic instrumentals in their/his catalog, and he may have been inspired by Spanish Fly.

I know Hendrix, Page, Beck, Iommi...they are all influential players, but to me, Eddie is still the most influential. And I would actually say that Iommi was more influential in his sound, far more than the actual style of playing.

Never heard of this band! J/K

I have all the Roth stuff on Vinyl! :) Not sure which release I like the best, either this one, or V.H. II. The other ones all are great for certain songs, or if you want to take the time to listen to them as a whole. Not sure who the best band ever is anymore, but I always repect me some V.H.! :)

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos