Classic Rock Bottom

Since the inaugural version was such a rousing success*, the power that be (there can be only one!) has decided it's time for another music challenge.

The rules are simple:

Starting 5/1/14 (that's May 1st of the year 2014 for those that have problems with numbers), you will have 31 (thirty-one) days to listen to 30 (thirty) albums. No, not just ANY albums, but a specific genre of albums.

Last November's challenge was easy. Five (5) albums each from the 60's (sixties), 70's (seventies), 80's (eighties), 90's (nineties) and 00's (umm....zeroes zeroes?). Simple. Those that completed that challenge were given to opportunity to pick a specific genre for the next challenge, which is THIS challenge. 

So, you're probably asking yourself "What are the categories, or genres, this time?" Well, we don't know yet. We're making you wait and giving you ample time to get prepared. We're like that. 

For those that complete the challenge, you'll be given the opportunity to pick a category for an upcoming challenge, just like those that completed the inaugural challenge. Yep, we're nice like that. 

You can keep a running tally of your albums in this post. The only requirements are the album title, artist and what challenge category it falls into. You can also wait to post until you're done with the challenge. Either way is perfectly fine. We're easy like that. 

All you need to do now is wait. Wait for the categories to appear below. Wait, but breathe. Always remember to breathe.   

MAY CHALLENGE

1) Listen to 5 albums from a group named after a city, state or country (from Rjhog)

COMPLETED #1: Matthew N., Jon, Scott G., Niels, Rjhog, Mike M., Noah M.

2) Listen to 5 disco and/or funk albums, soundtracks included (per Scott G.)

COMPLETED #2: Jon, Matthew N., Rjhog, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M. 

3) Listen to 5 punk and/or alternative rock albums but 2 of the 5 MUST be Punk (so says Mike)

COMPLETED #3: Rjhog, Matthew N., Jon, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M.

4) Listen to 5 NWOBHM albums from the years 1980 and/or 1981(request from Niels)

COMPLETED #4: Niels, Matthew N., Jon, Rjhog, Mike M., Scott G., Noah M.

5) Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died (courtesy Scott B.)**

COMPLETED #5: Jon, Matthew N., Rjhog, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M.

6) Listen to 5 albums featuring a female lead singer

COMPLETED #6: Rjhog, Niels, Matthew N., Jon, Mike M., Scott G., Noah M.

* with the exception of Scott, who tried to ruin the fun 

**for example, you can listen to an AC/DC album but it will need to be an album featuring Bon Scott

Views: 2370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not much of a punk rock fan, are you Niels? lol That's cool.....it's definitely not for everyone, for sure! When I first got into it I wasn't a huge fan.....I came from the mainstream rock following (Rainbow, Journey, Cheap Trick, Kiss, etc.) so it was definitely a clash in styles. But the drummer in me really liked the frenetic pace of most punk music, and the guitar player in me could really get behind most of the easy-to-play songs as well. It also goes along quite well with my anti-authority, screw-you attitude that I had (and still have, to a lesser extent, today). Nothing beats a well-placed middle finger to the establishment occasionally, and punk music is exactly that for me!

Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died

1. Threshold--Critical Mass (Lead singer Andrew "Mac" McDermott passed away in 2011)

2. Fleetwood Mac--Mystery To Me (Bob Welch passed away in 2012)

3. Slipknot--Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) (bassist Paul Gray passed away in 2010)

4. Led Zeppelin--Presence

Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died

1. Threshold--Critical Mass (Lead singer Andrew "Mac" McDermott passed away in 2011)

2. Fleetwood Mac--Mystery To Me (Bob Welch passed away in 2012)

3. Slipknot--Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) (bassist Paul Gray passed away in 2010)

4. Led Zeppelin--Presence (John Bonham passed away in 1980)

5. Molly Hatchet--No Guts...No Glory (Danny Joe Brown passed away in 2005)

Hell with it. I'm leaving it like that. Now comes the crappy category....

Hey, speak for your own category!

Actually I found some "alternative" music I haven't listened to in awhile. Now it's trying to figure which ones I wanna listen to!

Listen to 5 punk and/or alternative rock albums but 2 of the 5 MUST be Punk

1. The Clash--The Singles

2. Jane's Addiction--Nothing's Shocking

2. Jane's Addiction--Nothing's Shocking

3. Tonic--Lemon Parade

OK, onward to challenge #5!

Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died, #1:

Artist name: Thin Lizzy
Album title: Jailbreak
Year recorded/released: 1976 (Phil Lynott died of pneumonia & heart failure due to sepsis on January 4, 1986)

I was going to go obscure for this category, but there is just so much great music out there with bands that have lost band members, it's too hard to pass up the classic albums, like this one here. I remember owning a copy of this on 8-tack back in the day, but I specifically remember buying a vinyl copy through Columbia House where the volume mix was incredibly loud.....not distorted, but just the overall mix of the album was louder than most of my other albums, and I loved it because of that fact! Great album by a great band.....RIP Phil!

Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died, #2:

Artist name: Queen
Album title: News Of The World
Year recorded/released: 1977 (Freddie Mercury died of pneumonia caused by AIDS on November 24, 1991)

My favorite Queen album of all time. Freddie, as always, was amazing on this, especially on cuts like "It's Late" and the double-sided single "We Will Rock You" & "We Are The Champions". To me, a very iconic album.  RIP Freddie!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos