Classic Rock Bottom

This review was written for the defunct Rock Is Life.com website in 2006.

Susan Cagle
The Subway Recordings
Lefthook Entertainment - 2006
http://www.susancagle.com

What's The 4-1-1?

The singer-songwriter's live release recorded in New York at Times Square Station and Grand Central Station.

Genre

Rock / Pop / Soul / Singer-Songwriter

The Good

Susan Cagle has a sweet yet dynamic melodic voice that, thanks to the live nature of her debut album, is unfiltered by unnecessary effects.

The music on the CD is mostly fixed in a mid-tempo kind of groove, but there are moments where a faster vibe is clearly evident.

The lead track is "Shakespeare" and it is a real gem. While probably unlikely, the song wouldn't feel out of place as the main track in a date movie. The song is based on Cagle's tendency to ask new people she meets if they like the famous author.

The band is tight and above it all soars Cagle's voice and snappy songwriting. I love that the CD has so many good songs that struck me as being pop radio quality. I would have nothing against pop music, if it were of the quality found here.

There's a lot to like on this album and if your are looking for examples to show to other people you should consider playing such great tunes as "Ain't It Good To Know", "Manhattan Cowboy", "Stay" and "Happiness Is Overrated".

The Bad

I personally didn't care for 2 of the ten songs on the album, "Dream" and "Be Here".

The album is listed under Susan Cagle's name, but twice during the live performance she refers to the group as The Cagle Band. It might make people question which name is correct.

The Verdict

In 2005, I was completely taken by surprise by the live CD by the previously unknown to me band Antigone Rising. It ended up as one of my favorite discs of the year. This is how I feel about Susan Cagle's The Subway Recordings. It is an out of left field surprise and yet for a "rookie" recording, its an absolute smash.

I've always thought there was a world of music out there just waiting for people to open their eyes and discover it. Susan Cagle's songs and wonderfully smooth voice just might make it worth it to head down into New York's subway system after all.

Music should always be this good.

Did You Know?

The album is a family affair with Cagle's sister on bass, brother on guitar and another brother on drums for six of the songs. While brother John Cagle plays drums on the first six cuts on the disc, the last four songs feature Mark McLean behind the kit.

Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5

Views: 7

Reply to This

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos