Classic Rock Bottom

This review was written for the Rock Is Life.com website in 2006.

Some Girls
Crushing Love
Koch Records - 2006
http://www.some-girls.com

What's The 4-1-1?

The 14 track second release from the trio featuring Juliana Hatfield, Freda Love and Heidi Gluck.

Genre

Indie Rock / Rock / Pop

The Good

I enjoyed a lot of the music here.

The album opener "Is This What I've Been Waiting For?" is just the beginning of my enjoyment of Juliana Hatfield's honed melodic vocals.

The song "Hooray For L.A." has some strong lyrics that I liked. The lyrics and delivery of "Social Control" was just cool.

I found the songs that were more of an up tempo nature worked better for my own personal tastes.

The Bad

I found a few of the tracks to be flat, and in the case of "Rock or Pop?" absolutely awful. The guitar solo in "Hooray for L.A." ruins what was a really good kind of mellow song.

The Verdict

The trio all share in the songwriting duties and each shows they have a nice ability to craft some real quality songs. While I did like a bunch of the songs on the CD, there was a nagging feeling that something was missing.

Crushing Love is worth a listen, but I think it is lacking a bit in terms of having more good music than filler material.

Did You Know?

Drummer Freda Love is affected by arthritis which forces her to play standing up.

The song "Magnetic Fields" was written by Love's husband and bandmate in Mysteries of Life, Jake Smith.

Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos