Classic Rock Bottom

This review was originally written for the Rock Is Life.com website in 2006.

Various Artists
Forever Neil Diamond
Shout Factory - 2006
http://www.shoutfactory.com

What's The 4-1-1?

Shout Factory has issued this 14-track compilation paying tribute to the songwriting of Neil Diamond. The disc gathers some of the best known covers of his songs into one very varied edition.

Genre

Rock / Pop / Soul / R&B / Classic Rock / Tribute

The Good

The two best known covers included on this tribute are probably Deep Purple's "Kentucky Woman" and UB40's "Red Red Wine". Both songs are perennially great covers and deserve all the kudos they receive.

While I've heard a few of the songs here, a lot of them are new to me and some are downright fantastic. "Ain't No Way" from The Box Tops is a decent version of the song as is Arthur Alexander's cover of "Glory Road".

I love The Four Tops' rendition of "I'm A Believer". This R&B/soul version is far better than what The Monkees ended up doing to the song. Lulu's version of "The Boat That I Row" is a quick little number and I really enjoyed it.

The film Pulp Fiction used the track "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon" when Urge Overkill covered it and it is a very smooth remake. The vocals from Nash Kato are superb.

My favorite track by far on the album is the Crooked Finger remake of "Solitary Man". The banjo and vocal focus of the cover is outstanding and Eric Bachmann sings this song so well that I'd really have to say that it is as good, and possibly better, than the original song.

The Bad

I didn't care for The Monkees cover of "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You". It was simply a flat cover and their version of "I'm A Believer", though not better than The Four Tops, is better than this song.

I liked the vocal work from Bobby Womack on "Sweet Caroline" but I didn't care for the change in tempo from the original song.

The Elvis Presley contribution "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind" ends up being far too sugary for my tastes.

I'm not a fan of the artist that is the subject of a tribute album appearing on the CD, so I really was not enthused by the inclusion of "Dry Your Eyes" on the disc. Yes it is credited to The Band, but Neil Diamond does the vocal on it from their concert "The Last Waltz". It is something that would fit fine in some other compilation, but not on this one.

Shane McGowan & The Popes cover "Cracklin' Rosie". I think the more appropriate description would be that they cover the song with 6 feet of dirt. I don't know who in the world thought the McGowan vocals were good but he murders this song. It is atrocious.

The Verdict

Forever Neil Diamond does a solid job of collecting a variety of Neil Diamond's songs as done by other artists. It is not perfect, but whether you've heard all the material before or it is brand new to you, you'll find lots to enjoy. It will also give you a deeper appreciation for the songwriting of Neil Diamond.

Did You Know?

Lulu's cover of "The Boat That I Row" was the B-Side to her smash hit single "To Sir With Love".

UB40 had never heard the original version of "Red Red Wine" until after they had recorded their version of the song. They took their inspiration to do the song from the 1969 cover of the song by Jamaican singer Tony Tribe.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The wife loves some Neil Diamond.  Not sure this will be a purchase, but maybe I should revisit another Greatest Hits package and dust off the Jazz Singer I have on vinyl and give it a shot...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos