Classic Rock Bottom

Hidden Treasures - Classic Rocks Last Breath (Part II - 1991)

Well here we are, at Classic Rock's figurative deaths door. 1991 would bring the final and fatal blow to our beloved Classic Rock sounds. Smells Like Teen Spirit blew it away and the stage was set for a decade of down-tuned, mumbling, depressed bands selling us a new version of rock and roll replete with flannel plaid button ups and torn jeans. These so-called "angry" artists may have won the battle of the decade, but did they win the war? Who knows, when you stop and look back it was easy to see why the 70's and 80's Classic Rock sound faded out, they became complacent, and the sound never changed, so it was easy for a band to swoop in take over.

Anyway, back to 1991, what did the final battle cry sound like? And what would happen to our classic rock bands going forward? We'll save that for another SHT list, for now, take off your hats and pay your respects to the death of Classic Rock...

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/a1m0gm8i

Foreigner
Unusual Heat

1 - Only Heaven Knows

With Rick Willis on bass, Dennis Elliot playing drums, Mick Jones on guitar/keyboards, and the debut of Johnny Edwards from King Kobra and Buster Brown on vocals, the 1991 version of Foreigner actually was better than one would expect. Ten of the 11 songs on the Unusual Heat CD were written by co-producer Terry Thomas, new singer Johnny Edwards, and band mainstay Mick Jones, and they still had that bombast and brash appeal of the group which once featured so many textures brought to life by the voice of Lou Gramm. The unusual thing about Unusual Heat is that it is actually a good product and quite listenable. "Only Heaven Knows" kicks things off, and it could be the second cousin (or sequel) to Lou Gramm's solo smash from four years earlier, 1987's "Midnight Blue." Edwards is a stylish vocalist, and he, like the multiple replacements for Bad Company's Paul Rodgers, the Guess Who's Burton Cummings, and the Jefferson Starship's Grace Slick, has that tonal quality that can keep the public happy by keeping the sound consistent with what came before.

Van Halen
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

2 - Spanked

The smirking title indicates the true nature of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, Van Halen's third album with Sammy Hagar. Backing away from the diversity of OU812, the band turns in some of the most basic, straightforward rock & roll of its career. At times, F.U.C.K. recalls the sleek hard rock of Hagar's early-'80s albums, and it's undeniable that his limited vocal power had a great deal to do with the obvious nature of most of this music. While the band is still tight and professional -- and Eddie Van Halen's guitar work remains impressive -- the songwriting is, by and large, undistinguished, with the anthemic "Right Now" standing out as the most memorable song of the batch, mainly because of its incessant chorus.

Rush
Roll The Bones

3 - Bravado

From a lyrical perspective, 1991's Roll the Bones is quite possibly Rush's darkest album (most of the songs deal with death in no uncertain terms), but from a musical point of view, the record treads territory (highbrow melodic hard rock) similar to its recent predecessors, with only a few surprises thrown in for good measure. These include an amusing rap section in the middle of the title track, a welcome return to instrumentals with "Where's my Thing?," and one of the band's finest songs of the '90s in the gutsy "Dreamline." "Neurotica" is another highlight which lives up to its title, and though their negative subject matter can feel stifling at times, fine tracks like "Bravado," "The Big Wheel," and "Heresy" feature wonderful melodies and arrangements.

Queen
Innuendo

4 - Innuendo

Unbeknownst to the public, Freddie Mercury had been diagnosed with the AIDS virus in the late '80s. Although his health weakened by the '90s, Mercury insisted that the band work on music until the very end; their final album turned out to be 1991's Innuendo. Although it didn't receive the same critical praise as its predecessor, 1989's The Miracle, it was another strong album and global hit (again going gold in the U.S.). With hindsight, the song's lyrics are blatantly autobiographical from Mercury's standpoint, such as the reflective "These Are the Days of Our Lives" and the bold "The Show Must Go On." Also included are a pair of tracks that deal with mankind's inability to live harmoniously (the superb epic title track and "All God's People") and a humorous tribute to Mercury's beloved pet felines ("Delilah"). Innuendo was a fitting way to end one of rock's most successful careers.

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Enjoyed this one Scott.  I own three of the four albums (don't own the Rush album).  Have never much payed attention to the Foreigner album.  That song is okay.  The guy does sound like Gramm at times.  I've also never been much of a fan of that VH album.  I liked 5150 much better.  But this tune isn't too bad.  

I wouldn't mind picking up the Rush album.  I think that song you played is really good.  As for Queen, although at this point it sounds like a broken record, I've just never been much of a fan of that album.  But this song, listening to it today, is really quite epic.  Guess I need to spin all three of these that I own soon.

My quick song ranking would be:

1. Bravado

2. Innuendo

3. Spanked

4. Only Heaven Knows

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of