Classic Rock Bottom

This week we're back on track with the rest of the peeps with the 1986 release from Fates Warning, "Awaken The Guardian".

This should be an interesting listen for those that are only aware of Fates Warning and their progginess since there's very little prog here. However, it is a fascinating listen when you compare the THEN to the NOW. 

Think of a heavier Queensryche, with John Arch kind of sounding like Geoff Tate. This was also Arch's last album with Fates Warning. Subsequent releases found the band leaning more and more to progressive rock, especially on "Pleasant Shade Of Gray", "Disconnected" and their latest, "Darkness In A Different Light".

It's a very raw-sounding recording, no gloss here. Not something you would have heard on the radio back in '86. Still, it's an interesting listen especially considering the THEN and NOW.

Awaken The Guardian

1. The Sorceress
2. Valley Of The Dolls
3. Fata Morgana
4. Guardian
5. Prelude To Ruin
6. Giants of Lore Heart of Winter
7. Time Long Past
8. Exodus

Availability: The remastered version with bonus demo & live trakcs along with a DVD can be yours for around $12.

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I listened to that several times, when you first posted it. It is pretty good. Remember me asking about the song "Domino"? I thought it was a cover, because I knew that song. But then I remembered I actually have this on a cassette a friend of mine gave me. He recorded it off an album, onto a trusty Maxell blank tape. I can't remember what's on the other side of that cassette.

I tried. I failed.

I'm listening to "Masters Of Reality" again. "The Candy Song" and "John Brown" are pretty good, too! So you did not fail!

Check out their "Deep In The Hole" album. It seriously ROCKS!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos