Classic Rock Bottom

Unless I'm wrong, I believe this is the first album from The Kinks to be featured on this site! It's cause for celebration I think!

Way back when, a friend of mine talked incessantly about The Kinks and how great they were. He tried to convince me by overplaying "Low Budget" so I of course began to despise The Kinks. 

The something interesting happened in 1981. That year saw the release of "Give The People What They Want" and a bunch of us went to see The Kinks at the Meadowlands Arena. This was my first concert and I wasn't too psyched to be there since I despised The Kinks and thought they were soft rock at best. 

Well, that concert proved me wrong. These guys tore up the stage and were incredibly LOUD. I walked out of that concert with a newfound respect for the group and the next day picked up "Give The People What They Want" which, to this day, remains my favorite Kinks album. 

After that album, I was letdown by the next three releases ("State Of Confusion", "Word Of Mouth" and "Think Visual"), feeling that they were a bit wimpy. Then came the 1989 release of "UK Jive" and I was hooked again. 

Sadly, by this time The Kinks were considered has-beens which is a shame since this is a first class album. It also features one of my favorite Kinks songs, "Loony Balloons". After this album came "Phobia" and that was it for The Kinks.

What's kinda funny (to me) is the Bruce Hall Effect. You want a good REO Speedwagon song? Check out the songs written and/or sung by Bruce Hall. Even though I like Ray Davies I'm always drawn to the Dave Davies songs because he tears it up on the geetar. Yep, the BHE!

UK Jive

1. Aggravation
2. How Do I Get Close
3. UK Jive
4. Now And Then
5. What Are We Doing
6. Entertainment
7. War Is Over
8. Down All The Days (To 1992)
9. Loony Balloons
10. Dear Margaret
11. Bright Lights
12. Perfect Strangers

Availability: OOP with prices starting at $15

Views: 329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rebecca DeMornay (or however you spell her name) - very nice!!!

Jon,

I am a Kinks nut.

You gotta go all the way back and start with the first album.

Some brilliant ones over the years- Face To Face, Arthur, Village Green Preservation Society (probably my favorite), Muswell Hillbillies, Schoolboys in Disgrace, Low Budget, Something Else, of course Give the People What They Want and more!

No record collection is complete or valid without these, LOL!

Mike

I do have all the studio album from "Lola vs. The Powerman & the Money-Go-Round, Pt. 1" thru "Phobia". Do you Mr. Smart Guy? 

Honestly, I think I have every Kinks album- including live bootlegs and Ray Davies solo stuff.

Merry Christmas from Mr. Smart Guy, lol

WHATever. You have...Phobia? I think 7-8 people do.

Jon,

I looked yesterday and I have UK Jive.

I even have TWO different versions of The Great Lost Kinks Album.

But I do NOT have anything called Phobia.

Congrats to you and the 6 or 7 others, lol!

Put THAT up here!

Mike

Is that a request?

Sure...it certainly would be interesting for me to hear.

I pity the others if it's that bad though!

And pity I don't take requests. HA!

Hey, you ever notice...I don't take them either, HAH lol?

Hell, I won't even put up a playlist!

I don't know, I'll take a look later.

I think I actually have most of my Kinks stuff in one place, unlike my usual chaos, lol!

Doesn't sound familiar though.

Wow, I KNOW a singular man like you, one of only 7-8 people...wait, what if I am one of them?
Doubtful, lol!

Yeah, I hope not.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos