Classic Rock Bottom

You probably have heard "Driver's Seat" from Sniff 'n' The Tears, but who hasn't?

Name another Sniff 'n' The Tears song. Can you? No?

Well, let's change that. Let's give you the opportunity to listen to 1980's "The Game's Up" (which does not include "Driver's Seat") and then you can say that you know more than one Sniff 'n' The Tears song. Consider this a public service that I'm offering.

NOTE: 100% collusion AND grunge free!!!!! All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted. Don't focus on the album cover. Don't Scott this album!

As usual (and because you like it so much), here's a biography of the band, courtesy of allmusic.com:

"Best remembered for their 1978 hit "Driver's Seat," London-based new wave combo Sniff 'n' the Tears emerged from the remnants of the little-known Ashes of Moon, which disbanded in 1974 after failing to stir up much label interest. The individual members of the band scattered during the mid-'70s, with frontman Paul Roberts turning his attention to painting; however, following the ascendance of the new wave, drummer Luigi Salvoni convinced Roberts to re-form the group with guitarists Mick Dyche and Loz Netto, bassist Nick South, and keyboardist Keith Miller, and in 1978, the newly christened Sniff 'n' the Tears began shopping their demo. Chiswick signed the band and issued its debut album, Fickle Heart, that summer, with the single "Driver's Seat" becoming a major hit in the U.S. The Game's Up appeared in 1980, but failed to make much of a commercial impact; when 1981's Love Action and the following year's Ride Blue Divide met a similar fate, Sniff 'n' the Tears disbanded. In the wake of "Driver's Seat" experiencing a commercial-driven revival in 1992, Roberts assembled a new lineup of Sniff 'n' the Tears for a European tour and a new album, No Damage Done. Roberts continued under the moniker Sniff 'n' the Tears for 2001's Underground, then he retired the band for another decade, reconvening a new lineup for 2011's Downstream."

Even though they might be considered new wave, I find that they're a cross between Al Stewart (with the vocals) and Dire Straits (with the geetar™). The album cover is a painting by lead vocalist/rhythm geetarist™ Paul Roberts, but the cover was changed for the U.S. release for some reason.

Now it's up to you to decide. Which is the better album cover, the one pictured at the top or this one:

The Game's Up

1. The Game's Up
2. Moment Of Weakness
3. What Can Daddy Do
4. Night Life
5. If I Knew Then
6. One Love
7. 5 & Zero
8. Poison Pen Mail
9. Rodeo Drive

Availability: New for around $12 and used for around $10, both should have the "naughty" album cover.

Views: 707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I cannot endorse either album cover as the nature of the subject matter violates my personal morals...  But being under contractual obligation  I must respond, so after much study and prayer...

off to repent again....

And it always looks so good in the ad...............

I like these guys, they're not interested in mainstream, or maybe I should they were not interested in making mainstream hits music.  I still enjoy  spinning Fickle Heart every now and then and this fits right in ...

One Love and Rodeo Drive are be the only filler track, everything else works for me.

Really liked this weeks post!

That's it?

Sorry... I split up my listens, busy with my son's wedding. .. I will come back with more.

Oh. That's more important. I will cut you some slack, but just this one time.

besides, I got processed cheese all over the place and had a hard time typing.

they were supposedly a one hit wonder to my knowledge

Yep, "Driver's Seat" was that wonder!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos