Classic Rock Bottom

Well, this should be a bit interesting.

The Osmonds??!! Why not?

Have I ever steered you wrong before? Nope. Never.

Besides, Crazy Horses, released in 1972, was picked as one of the 500 best heavy metal albums in the universe in Chuck Eddy's "Stairway To Hell", coming in at #66 (or #66.6 if you want to get really technical). That's right before Billy Squier's Don't Say No, so it has to have some merit. 

Per Chuck Eddy: The title track's got the most apocalyptic Book Of Revelation imagery this side of Dylan/Osbourne and I swear to Joseph Smith its demented kicks and whinnies were stolen outright by Aerosmith in "Back In The Saddle"...  

Sure, there's some schmaltzy stuff here but when they rock, boy do they rock. And not only is there rockin' geetar, they also have no problem adding horns. Such rebels!

Time for some Allmusic.com thoughts:

Crazy Horses is killer. With Donny's tonsils now off making albums of their own, his presence here is confined to keyboards, allowing the elder Osmonds to fulfill the vocal duties, and to rock out accordingly. The mad synth boogie of the title track would be a classic rock staple had any other artist recorded it, and it's not alone, as "Hold Her Tight" and "We All Fall Down" follow its lead into seriously rocking territory. True, the ballads do spoil the show a little, but only from the point of view of a "serious" rock fan trying to justify this album's presence in his/her collection.

Crazy Horses

1. Hold Her Tight
2. Utah
3. Girl
4. What Could It Be
5. We All Fall Down
6. And You Love Me
7. Crazy Horses
8. Life Is Hard Enough Without Goodbyes
9. Hey, Mr. Taxi
10. That's My Girl
11. Jule
12. Big Finish

Availability: A two-fer featuring this album and the followup The Plan is available for around $11 new.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I heard this went platinum in Utah...

I will give you this, similar to RJ's comments.  You definitely do your job well.  And there are reasons albums get lost and forgotten, this may be the very definition of Lost and Forgotten unless 

you live in Provo.  I will also give you the fact that Marie is pretty hot!  but...  she's just a coping mechanism while listening to this since she's not part of the band.

I cant bring myself to liking this, at all.  They try to rock, but it comes across as disingenuous.  I think they were really trying to break through the puppy love image and be legit.  Oops...

Their vocal styles don't work for rock and roll either.  The bluesy number following the title 

track comes the closest to being decent but the guitar is weak.  This is similar to a recent boy band that tried to play their own instruments but it didnt work.  Though these guys can play music, just not anything heavy, ever....

Did I mention Marie was cute?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos