Classic Rock Bottom

NEW (and CLASSIC) VIDEOCORNER#14 - STORM CORROSION, MASTODON, HELIX & GRIM REAPER

Here’s the very first video from Storm Corrosion, for the song Drag Ropes for the band’s debut album.

The 10-minute long video was animated by South African stop-motion animator Jess Cope and is a stunning display of shadow-puppetry that echoes the songs haunting theme, shifting from beautiful to devastating.

“For me, self-indulgence is one of the fundamental things about being an artist,” says Steven Wilson. “Do not make music or art to please other people. If you do, you’ve stopped being an artist and you’ve become an entertainer. This is a very cinematic, impressionistic and immersive record. We just got together and it poured out of us. With this record you’re entering into a very unusual and unfamiliar sonic universe and that’s a very exciting thing to be part of.”

Storm Corrosion is released on Roadrunner Records on May 7.

I can't remember, if I already have posted this video? Nah, I think it was another video from their latest album. By the way, I just saw at the gym, that in a few months, there will be a 2-day "festival" in Copenhagen, called "Copenhell" (sigh), and among the acts are Mastodon, Anthrax, Slayer,Saxon and Marilyn Manson. I probably won't go.

Wild in the Streets was the sixth album by the rock band Helix, released in 1987.
The album went gold in the band's native Canada, but only managed a disappointing #179 on the Billboard 200 in the United States. The band would lose their U.S. deal with Capitol Records soon after.

Rock You to Hell is the third (& final) album released by the British heavy metal band Grim Reaper in 1987. It was released under the RCA label.

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Storm Corrosion (3 Danishes)

This is pretty good.  I don't know if a whole album of it would hold my interest.  I'll say it again, I'm not a big fan of really long songs that aren't called Free Bird.  I'll be looking forward to it appearing in NMC.  The video is different, but totally depressing.

Mastodon (2.5 Danishes)

This is a cool-ass song.  This is a suck-ass video.  2.5 danishes for the song only.

Helix (0 Danishes)

I'll put it this way, what sucked in the 80's still sucks in the 2010's.  Song sucks, video sucks, band sucks.  

Grim Reaper (1 Danish)

This is exactly the kind of metal music I don't care for.  I strongly dislike the vocals.  I'm giving the danish because the video is so bad that it's kinda cool.  They do get a bit of credit for that.

Well, I can easily post it in NMC. With that one, I've got 4 to post, so I should be covered for a while.

I agree about Helix. They actually put out a couple of really good, catchy albums. Grim Reaper were the epitome of cheese but what is interesting , is the lead singer Steven Grimm actually has a great voice and Nick Bowcutt was a very solid guitar player. Your IQ isn't going to get any higher listening to Grim Reaper, lol, but if you want some fun tongue in check music to listen to, as others have stated the first two albums have their moments.

STORM CORROSION ...  3 danishes hanging from a rope 

Really cool video, did that dude feel that girl up on the gallows?   Just asking...  The problem with the music is that I would never enjoy it unless it accompanied this video, the two cant be seperated, and thats why the video gets all the danishes it can handle and the music none.

MASTADON ... 1 picture of 1 danish (so close yet so far!) 

Uhh...  MastaDONT!.  The video was awful the vocals monotone and about the only thing I liked was the drumming, he gets a danish!  But alas, the rest wasnt good enough on any level...

HELIX ... 1 Danish with back bacon glaze just because the cheesiness made me laugh 

Singer dude is creepy looking with his eyes wide open like that.  Ugh!  Take ACDC riffs, mix it with Poison stage antics, and Rudy Sarzo humping his bass and voila!  You get this!  (Hey is that singer missing a tooth?) - and someone tell the guitarists that playing catch on stage stage and holding your guitar up by the whammy bar doesnt makle for good musicianship.  Gold in Canada huh...  Explains a lot (hehehe - its a veiled Blame Canada reference for you South Park fans)!

GRIM REAPER ... 1 Dozen Danish (hot Krispy Kreme style), but thats payment to me for having to watch and listen to this! 

I cant take this seriouly, that singer dude cracks me up everytime they show him!  Whoever his image consultant was needs to be fired and never allowed to work in rock and roll ever again!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos