Classic Rock Bottom

NEW (and CLASSIC) VIDEOCORNER#34 - (1982 SPECIAL: SIMPLE MINDS, DIRE STRAITS & ROXY MUSIC)

Since N(aC)VC#33 had SUCH an overwhelming respons from you guys, I thought I would treat you with a special edition.

1982 was the year, that I really discovered "Music-video", and these three video's were among the first ones, I had on a VHS-tape, taped directly from the television. I saw them over and over just because I could, and not because I was a fan of these bands. Later on, I bought a couple of their albums, and especially Simple Minds made one of the best albums from the 80's in 85, "Once Upon A Time". It wasn't until around '83-'84, that I got me some Metal-video's on tape, but I'll post them maybe next time. I still like these video's AND songs, though.

Simple Minds - Glittering Prize

Dire Straits - Private Investigations

Roxy Music - Avalon

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm getting to #33. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm kinda a week behind on stuff right now.

Simple Minds--2 laser beams

Not a SM song I like much, but it's ok. Don't ever remember seeing this video on MTV, or maybe I just changed the channel since I thought this type of music sucked back then. Not a really catchy song at all. The video was....gold. Lots of gold. Made me think of.....Goldfinger for some reason. Does gold glitter? Guess it could in the right light.

Dire Straits--doesn't play

Great song though.

Roxy Music--4 vodka martinis

This is the same with Simple Minds. Back then I thought this song sucked, but now really like it. Even have this album! But what in the hell does the bird have to do with anything? When the band looks into the camera, they look like they want to go on a killing spree. 

Simple Minds -- 2 Handfuls of Golden Glitter

Is that the same guy who sang "Don't You Forget About Me" & "Alive & Kicking"? He looks a lot younger & thinner. His voice isn't near as distinct as it was on the later tracks.  The songs ok, there's just no hook. I agree with Jon, this could have been a video for the Goldfinger theme. Lots of Gold!!!

Dire Straits -- 4 Uncovered Clues

I don't know if it was within the rules or not, but I went to youtube, when this didn't play. Very nice acoustically, I enjoyed the guitar throughout. Knopfler's vocals had a Lenoard Cohen quality to them. The video with Knopfler's soft whisper, gave the atmosphere of a Mike Hammer serial.

Roxy Music -- 3 Ballerina Spins

Spandeau Ballet immediately comes to mind. This is something you put on, when you want to have a romantic evening. It has a good vocal, a strong beat & not too overpowering.

Ah, but Mike: You followed the rules exactly by the book.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge