Classic Rock Bottom

NEW MUSIC CORNER # 125 - A TALE OF TWO QUEENSRYCHES

Well, here we are.  Two Queensryches.  For those who are unaware of what's going on, Frequency Unknown is the Geoff Tate version of the band, while the self-titled Queensryche is fronted by Todd LaTorre.  I picked what I think are the best 5 songs on each album.  Who knows, these 5 tracks may not be what you would pick, but I think it should be enough for everyone to choose for himself.  Is it TateRyche, TorreRyche, both or neither.  I'll save my comments until others have chimed in.

1. Cold

2. Slave

3. Running Backwards

4. Life Without You

5. The Weight Of The World

6. Spore

7. In This Light

8. Redemption

9. Vindication

10. Don't Look Back

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think, there's a big difference.

Dickinson, Dio and Johnson all bought something new to the bands, and in all three cases, it's like it's "two different bands".

LaTorre brings absolutely nothing new at all!!

When a favorite band of mine looses one of their main members, be it the lead-singer, the main song-writer or whatever, it's not the same band anymore, and sometimes a new member brings something fresh, that works. 

Eric Carr brough freshness into KISS, for a short while as well.

I understand why Iommi is saying that, considering all the different band-members he has played with in "Black Sabbath", but was there at anytime, a singer that sounded the exact same as Ozzy? Or dressed exactly like Ozzy did? 

Some bandmembers can't be replaced, and when it really works, it's beacuse the new member is almost as good, but in a whole different way.

Otherwise, it's just a tribute-band.

Technically, LaTorre does bring something new to QR...the classic sound that has been missing.  

technically your right, but I have to agree with Niels here, he brings nothing new nor unique to the table...

Well, I know all of you have been biting your nails, waiting for my take on this, so here goes.

• I think LaTorre fronted Queensrych wins this battle and based on the music, I'd give the edge to them retaining the name Queensryche.
  • That's not to say that Tate fronted QR is without merit.  I think some of the songs are good.  I think it's better than what I remember of Dedicated To Chaos.  I think, like Niels said, that Life Without You sounds the most like classic QR.  
  • I think Tate rushed his release, putting together a band of any somewhat big name he could find.  That was his mistake.  He should have slowed down and let the other QR release their album first.  He could have heard what QR fans expect from their band.  
  • He should have put together a band for the long run and used folks that he could continue to work with, not just names.
  • The production is somewhat lacking, though I don't think it's as bad as the internet chatter made it sound.  Again, slowing down could have helped this situation.
  • The song In This Light from the self-titled release is tremendous.  I disagree with Niels on this point.  I think that song would have fit very nicely on Empire.  Or, because that was such a good album, more realistically on the follow-up.
  • The only slight hiccup to me for this one is the final song on the album, but it's not what I'd call bad either.  It's still a pretty good song.
  • The drum work is outstanding.  Rockenfield is terrific.
  • I also like the bass tone on a few songs and I wish that would have been more evident throughout.  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos