Classic Rock Bottom

APRILS FOOLS

Some April 'Did You Know's'...

• April starts on the same day of the week as July in all years, and January in leap years.
  • April ends on the same day of the week as December every year.
  • The traditional etymology is from the Latin aperire, "to open," in allusion to its being the season when trees and flowers begin to "open".
  • April was sacred to the goddess Venus
  • The birthstone of April is the diamond, and the birth flower is typically listed as either the Daisy or the Sweet Pea

But April Fools is too good of a topic to pass up at the beginning of the month, so here you go...

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Fools Gold
BAND: Thin Lizzy
ALBUM: Johnny The Fox
YEAR: 1976
LENGTH: 3:51
DID YOU KNOW: Once Lynott had returned to the UK from the aborted US tour in June 1976, when they had been scheduled to support Rainbow, he spent time in hospital in Manchester recovering from hepatitis. He had an acoustic guitar with him and wrote the songs for Johnny the Fox during June and July, with one outing to play a gig at Hammersmith Odeon on 11 July. After his release from hospital, Lynott joined the other members of the band and travelled to Munich in August to record the album at Musicland Studios with producer John Alcock. Alcock has said that the decision to record outside the UK was for tax reasons.

TITLE: Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)
BAND: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
ALBUM: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
YEAR: 1976
LENGTH: 3:49
DID YOU KNOW: Shortly after forming his musical aspirations, Petty started a band known as the Epics, later to evolve into Mudcrutch. The band featured future Heartbreakers Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench.  After Mudcrutch split up, Petty reluctantly agreed to pursue a solo career. Tench decided to form his own group, whose sound Petty appreciated. Eventually, Petty and Campbell collaborated with Tench and fellow members Ron Blair and Stan Lynch, resulting in the first line-up of the Heartbreakers. This first album gained minute popularity amongst American audiences, achieving more success in Britain. The single "Breakdown" was re-released in 1977 and peaked at #40 in early 1978 after the band toured in the United Kingdom in support of Nils Lofgren. The debut album was released by Shelter Records, which at that time was distributed by ABC Records.

TITLE: Fool For You Anyway
BAND: Foreigner
ALBUM: Foreigner
YEAR: 1977
LENGTH: 4:17
DID YOU KNOW: Since its inception, Foreigner has been led by English musician Mick Jones (former member of Nero and the Gladiators, Spooky Tooth and The Leslie West Band) who, in early 1976, met with ex-King Crimson member Ian McDonald and formed Foreigner with Lou Gramm (ex-Black Sheep), Dennis Elliott, Al Greenwood, and Ed Gagliardi as a sextet. Jones came up with the name from the fact that he, McDonald, and Elliott were English, while Gramm, Greenwood, and Gagliardi were Americans.  The band's debut album Foreigner was released in March 1977 and sold more than four million copies in the United States, staying in the Top 20 for a year.

TITLE: You Dont Fool Me
BAND: UFO
ALBUM: Obsession
YEAR: 1978
LENGTH: 3:23
DID YOU KNOW: Obsession is the seventh album by the British rock band UFO, released in 1978. This was the final studio album to feature Michael Schenker on lead guitar until he returned to the band in 1993. A single from the album, "Only You Can Rock Me" / "Cherry", was also released in 1978. So too was the band's first 3-track EP "Only You Can Rock Me", "Cherry" / "Rock Bottom", reaching No. 50 in the UK.  2008 EMI's remastered edition includes 3 bonus live tracks, and also some writing credits are corrected.

TITLE: Fools
BAND: Van Halen
ALBUM: Women and Children First
YEAR: 1980
LENGTH: 5:56
DID YOU KNOW: The opening track, "And the Cradle Will Rock...", begins with what sounds like a guitar, but is, in fact, a phase shifter-effected Wurlitzer electric piano played through Van Halen's 1960's model 100-watt Marshall Plexi amplifier.  The album is somewhat different to their first two albums in the way that it features more studio overdubs. "Could This Be Magic" contains the only female backing vocal ever recorded for a Van Halen song; Nicolette Larson sings during some of the choruses. The rain sound in the background is not an effect. It was raining outside, and they decided to record the sound in stereo using two Neuman KM84 microphones, and add it to the track.

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All nice songs Scott, not a stinker in the bunch.  I know 40% of 'em (VH and Foreigner).  Here's how I'd rank 'em:

5. Fooled Again (I Don't Like It) - Tom Petty

4. Fools Gold - Thin Lizzy

3. Fool For You Anyway - Foreigner

2. You Don't Fool Me - UFO

1. Fools - VH

Like I said, all good songs.  I'm giving the Great Scott! to UFO.  That's a really cool song.  I think you've just helped me decide on my last tune for the covers thing coming up and yes, it will be a UFO cover.

Awesome...  Thanks!  Cant wait to hear it..

Great playlist, all good songs!!! Looks like RJ has the ranking about right! I just got around to hearing this, so can I wish you a belated April Fools?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos