Classic Rock Bottom

I declare that 2012 will be a year full of true classic rock here at Classic Rock Bottom (as long as Podsnack continues to work).  You see, Scott changed up his format on Scott's Hidden Treasures, and that inspired me to do something a little different as well.  There are so many classic rock bands and classic rock subgenres that we haven't even touched on around here.  So that is the direction that my inspiration is leading me. 

Does anyone know the true definition of what is "classic rock" and what is not "classic rock"?  The best I can determine is that the music should be at least 25 years old.  The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (whether you respect them or not) says an artist must have been around at least that long.  That would put us back to 1987.  I'm gonna take it a small step further and say that if it came out on or after January 1, 1985, it is not considered classic rock (of course, that's just for the sake of this exercise). 

The new format, so to speak, for Album Of The Week, will involve artists that have not previously been posted in AOTW.  Therefore, you won't be seeing AOTW's from Kiss, Rush, Bob Seger, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Styx, The Who, The Beatles or any other band that has been featured before.  I will even do my best to coordinate this in the case of a world tour by Jon and myself.  You also will not be seeing AOTW's featuring modern rock artists. 

Special Note:  These artists have not appeared in AOTW before.  That doesn't mean they have not been in L/FAOTW or SHT or VOTW.  Also, an individual can appear multiple times, as long as each album is attributed to a different artists (for example, The Beatles will not appear this year because they've already been featured at least once, but each individual Beatle would be eligible as a solo artist or a member of another band, as long as that artist has not yet made an appearance).

For clarity's sake, here are my rules:

1. All albums featured must have been released on or before 12-31-84.

2. Any subgenre is fair game (metal, hard rock, folk rock, etc...)

3. No repetition of artists, all artists will be featured as AOTW for the first time.

So far this year, I have featured Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult from the early 70's.  So I'm right in line so far.  I'll probably keep a running list as a reply to this thread to keep up with all of the artists covered.  Also, I've made a little list of artists that I already own that will fit the rules, but I'll still have to purchase between 15-20 CD's this year to complete my "project".  So sit back and enjoy some music that you very well may have heard of, but have never had the opportunity to hear it. 

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Week 1: Deep Purple - Machine Head

Week 2: Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult

Week 3: Atlanta Rhythm Section - Champagne Jam

And to follow along I will...well, do what I want.

Ain't gonne be no stinkin' tour!

If we're gonna keep in Real in 2012 & strive for a Better Rock Bottom, let's keep up a healthy tournament schedule. Let's have some good tournaments this year & try to peak some of our sleeper's interest & get them back Rockin'!!!

Oh and one more thing...if there's a guest doing your AOTW, namely SCOTT, make sure he understands the rules since he'll probably post something from 2011 and claim it was from pre-1985 because "they were thinking about these songs then".

OK, I have nothing to post now!

No, No, No.  You have plenty brother.  I think you guys will be surprised with some of the bands I pull out of the woodwork.

Regarding Rule #1...  I agree with you in principle, but as it relates to Classic Rock artists and the non-NMS forums, what about releases from them that are later than 12/31/84?  For example:  This rule excludes albums like Journey's Raised on Radio, Iron Maidens Somewhere In Time and VH's 5150.  Just a thought, but should the rule be clarified to read something like...

1. All ARTISTS featured must have released music on or before 12-31-84.

This way the Artists we showcase are classic rock artists and their body of work is up for discussion..  Feel free to overrule, but I was just thinking...

I for one, WON'T miss "Somewhere In Time" and 5150

For clarification, the rule above only applies to AOTW forum for 2012.  It's just a personal goal for me.  This doesn't apply anywhere else on CRB.  For example, Jon can post any album he wants in L/FAOTW, regardless of the date of release.  You can pull hidden treasures from any time frame whatsoever.  It's just a goal for me to get back to true classic rock in the AOTW forum and a chance to share and discuss some older albums that may or may not get discussed otherwise.  So none of the albums I post in AOTW will be after 12/31/84.  But I'm not trying to restrict all of our discussions to that. 

It's really just an exercise for me to increase my classic rock CD library.  It forces me to make some purchases so that I can complete the year without breaking my self-imposed rules.  Sorry if I confused anybody and made you guys think that's all we were discussing this year.  I love all ages of our rock music and look forward to discussing anything and everything.

ah...  I knew that

Great...he's trying to cheat already!

Wait until the next SHT list!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)