Classic Rock Bottom

John Gorka

Bright Side of Down

Blue Chalk Records / Red House Records - 2014

www.johngorka.com

If you have read my other CD reviews then you are well aware that I'm mostly a rock and metal kind of guy. But on those occasions when I want to slow things down a bit, I dig out some of the folk music artists that I like and let the storytelling envelop me into a more soothing mindset.

One of those artists is John Gorka. And though it has been about 4 years since his last album, with the release of Bright Side of Down, listeners will find that it has been well worth the wait.

Gorka wrote 11 of the 12 songs on the disc and his ability to turn a lyrical phrase remains intact. His sometimes self-deprecating way of addressing life's foibles are humorous little jabs that tend to bring on a quick smile. When he turns that wit outward towards others, the smile is larger still.

A few of the songs on the album address the subject of aging directly, whether using pointed descriptions or using things like the passing of seasons to illustrate the same idea.

The title track's opening verse (shown below) is especially indicative of this:

Time takes almost everything

Me and time will take my time

I look around for things to bring

To ease the way down the uphill climb

The song's slow to mid-tempo delivery helps drive the point home. Other songs that fall into this particular vein include "Don't Judge a Life" and "Thirstier Wind". The latter used the passing of the seasons motif I mentioned previously.

Passing mentions of the climate, whether direct or used as metaphor also show up on the unfortunately disappointing album closer "Really Spring". The song "Holed Up Mason City" finds Gorka forced off the road due to a blizzard and given lots of time to ponder. The up tempo nature of this track really set things off right for me.

"Honeybee" features a slightly goofy tone and use of the song's title in the lyrics.

The music on Bright Side of Down is pretty straightforward and doesn't find itself bogged down in trying to be cute instead of serving the needs of the song/lyrics. The stories and Gorka's performance of don't have to be weeded out from the music, and that always helps in my book.

The Bill Morrissey song "She's That Kind of Mystery" had me thinking of the Billy Joel song "She's Always a Woman to Me". While stylistically different, the vibe of Gorka's cover gave me that particular feeling.

Sadly, "Outnumbered" didn't do much for me, though I did like the slightly scratchier sound to Gorka's vocals. It seemed to add at least a bit more emotional heft.

For me, the song that brought the whole album together musically and lyrically was "Procrastination Blues". The song bounces along in an up tempo nature and when you have expertly crafted lyrics, you can't help but adore a track.

The song's second verse was particularly illustrative of Gorka's more self-deprecating lyrical sense.

To see you pass by, I would give up my next meal

And all the ones after that if we could ever strike a deal

But I'm well aware of the limits of my own appeal

It may have taken four years to get this new album, but John Gorka once again delivers a collection of songs that will enthuse his existing fan base and serve notice (again) on why he is one of the true standard bearers of the folk genre.

cdrjg01

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting.  I'm not familiar with Gorka at all, but I dig some folk music.  I'd probably like it.

He's really good. I didn't know who he was when I saw him open for another artist and he was both talented and funny in concert, I've been a fan ever since.

Was doing some Amazon surfing and this popped up.  The clips sound good.  Probably won't buy it though, I've bought 69 new albums this year.  Must slow it down some.

Yeah, that is a lot of CDs. I've only bought 19 new albums this year.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos