Classic Rock Bottom

2014 Rock and Roll Hall of FameJoe Hale / Kevin Winter, Getty Images

KissDeep PurpleYes, and Peter Gabriel are among the nominees for the 2014 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Other classic rock hopefuls include Linda RonstadtCat Stevens, Hall and Oates, and the Zombies.

The list also includes the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Nirvana, Chic, N.W.A, Link Wray, the Replacements, L.L. Cool J, and the Meters. According to Rolling Stone, the artists who get the most votes will be inducted at a New York City ceremony next April. For the second time, fans can select who they think should be honored via a poll on the magazine’s site — that’s the good news. The bad news is that all those combined votes will be combined into one ballot that becomes just one of 600 ballots that will determine the winner.

This seems like a good time to blow our own horn and state that if you want a Hall of Fame that puts 100% of the control in the hands of the fans, click here or on the button below to help decide in Ultimate Classic Rock’s current Hall of Fame election, as Led ZeppelinBlack SabbathRod Stewart and Santana vie to reach the finals.

Of course, several of these undoubtedly worthy classic rock bands have been nominated but not inducted for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in years past. Not that they seem particularly concerned. Earlier this year, Deep Purple keyboardist Don Airey stated, “I don’t think the band really care, actually.” Last year, Gene Simmons of Kiss floated the idea of buying the Hall of Fame, and firing everybody: “It’s become a joke.”

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nirvana will most definitely make it.  My bet is the other four will be N.W.A., Linda Ronstadt, Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Hall & Oates.  Hope I'm wrong on all accounts except the last one.  I voted for Kiss, Deep Purple, Hall & Oates, The Zombies and Yes.

Deep Purple would be my first pick and based on this list I would also add KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

I think, that Deep Purple will make it this time, but KISS won't. Nirvana will make it for sure, and I'm fine with that. I do HOPE, that KISS will make it, though. Other than yes, I don't really care about any of the other acts. 

I am not a KISS fan, but there is no denying their influence on music. Deep Purple (like many others) should have been in many years ago. I agree about Nirvana. I am not a fan of theirs either but their influence on rock music makes them more than qualified. 

Nirvana will make it for singlehandedly launching the grunge genre into the stratosphere and killing the 80's metal movement.

For me, if I'm limited to five picks I would go with:

Deep Purple

Hall & Oates

Kiss

Peter Gabriel

and though I'm not a fan, Nirvana.

DP has to go before anyone else listed or the RARHOF has no credbility...  oh wait...  Im with Airey - nobody cares, theres no credbility anyway...

One name you rarely hear mentioned when talking about people who belong in the Hall is surprisingly, Ted Nugent. I know he has a big mouth but that guy belongs in as well.

Kiss and Deep Purple belong, and Scandal 2000's mention of Nugent is right on, as well!

For me, NIrvana was/is definitely influential, but I just dont think their career was long enough, or full enough of material, to get in. That's just my opinion, and I feel there is no doubt they will get in. But if it were MY hall of fame, Nirvana would not get in, and Kiss and DP would have been very early inductees.

That's a valid point but let me throw this out for argument's sake. Guns N Roses are in the Hall of Fame, do they truly belong? If you think about it, they only have a handful of albums and AFD is the only truly great album they ever did. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos