Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #106 TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - YOU'RE GONNA GET IT! (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY PART 2)

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: You're Gonna Get It!

Released: May 2, 1978

Producer: Denny Cordell/Noah Shark/Tom Petty

Singles: I Need To Know/Listen To Her Heart

Song Of The Week: I Need To Know

Cover Me: N/A

RIAA Certification: Gold

Album Cover: 4/10

I kinda screwed up on the last Tom Petty post.  I wanna do a little bit better job of bringing you some of the history of this artist and his contribution to this thing we call Rock And Roll, so this week I will include a little bit more of that type thing, although it won't be anything earth shattering.  I'm basically paraphrasing what you can find on Wikipedia.  Also, you'll notice below that I'm building the ultimate Tom Petty playlist.  Each week I'll pick some songs from the album being featured to add to the playlist.  There is no minimum or maximum number of songs that I can pull from any album.  It's nice being in charge of something.  

Petty hails from Gainesville, Florida, where one of his first guitar teachers was none other than Don Felder (Eagles).  His first bands were The Sundowners and The Epics, a band that eventually evolved into Mudcrutch.  That band went nowhere and eventually split up.  Mudcrutch members Mike Campbell (guitar) and Benmont Tench (keyboards) would eventually be part of the original lineup of The Heartbreakers (along with Ron Blair on bass and Stan Lynch on drums), the band that Petty would spend the majority of his career working with.

Their self-titled debut was released in 1976 and was covered in the previous Tom Petty post. Their follow-up is what we cover today, entitled You're Gonna Get It!  It was released in 1978 and was originally going to be named Terminal Romance (a much better title if you ask me).  Despite the fact that neither single from the album scored a Top 40 ranking, the album itself managed a Gold certification from the RIAA and broke into the Top 40 (#23).  According to Wikipedia, it was the bands first Gold album, so I'm assuming that at some point after it went gold, the debut was certified as well.  The band remained the same with contributions from a couple of other folks for the sophomore effort.  

Personally, I don't think this album is as good as the debut.  There are a lot of average to slightly above average songs on here for me, noted by the 2 asterisks.  There are a couple of outstanding tracks.  I would definitely include Magnolia and I Need To Know on my TP playlist, so I'll do just that.

In 1979, MCA Records purchased ABC Records.  Petty did not want to be transferred from one label to another without his consent, which resulted in Petty filing bankruptcy as a move against MCA.  The suit was eventually settled, which made way for the band to release their next album entitled Damn The Torpedos.  I would imagine you've heard of that one, and we'll visit with it during the next Petty post.

Ultimate TP Playlist (This Album): Magnolia/I Need To Know

1. When The Time Comes **

2. You're Gonna Get It **

3. Hurt *

4. Magnolia ***

5. Too Much Ain't Enough **

6. I Need To Know ***

7. Listen To Her Heart **

8. No Second Thoughts **

9. Restless *

10. Baby's A Rock 'n' Roller *

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just picked up Into The Great Wide Open (Tom Petty) from the Wal-Mart sin bin for $5. I listened to it on the drive back from an event last night. NOT BAD!

I have more CDs and movies that I want to trade. I'm not sure if I know any of the songs from this album or not. I'll listen to it later.

Thanks!

SO I think Ive told this story before...  But in my ninth grade year I had an Art teacher that played music in class on his Reel-To-Reel player.  This album played 90% of the time, the other 10% was Zeppelin's debut album.  So by full immersion I grew to really like this album then loathe it because of overplaying.

That said its a great album and to this I fondly remember getting it pounded into my head day after day after day.  I don't listen to it as often but I am an owner of it. 

Liking your Petty playlist too, good selections but Your Gonna Get it, Too Much Aint Enough, and Listen to Her Heart could easily be on there as well...

I've got a lot to add for next week.

I'm guessing it will be either "Damn The Torpedoes" or "Hard Promises" that you post then...

Damn The Hard Promises would have been a great album title!

Yep, Damn The Topedos, practically the whole album!!!

I like this album but it really picks up for me starting with "Too Much Ain't Enough" and the rest of the album is just good stuff. I should pick this up again seeing how I like it.

Damn The Hard Promises Long After Dark But Into The Great Wide Open with The Last DJ

Petty Just Rocks!!! Not very many bad Petty songs, just average to great!!! Good album, it all plays good for me!!! You picked out the gems, but "Baby's A Rock 'N' Roller", "Hurt' & "Restless" one asterist? I think they need an upgrade! There ain't no bad Petty songs!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos