Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 116 THE SMITHEREENS - ESPECIALLY FOR YOU (1986)

Artist: The Smithereens

Genre: Power Pop

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Especially For You

Released: 1986

Producer: Don Dixon

Singles: Blood And Roses/Behind The Wall Of Sleep

Song Of The Week: Blood And Roses

RIAA Certification: Cadmium

Album Cover: 5/10

For the next couple of weeks I’m posting albums that, in my humble opinion, are great.  This week it’s the first full-length album for The Smithereens.   Especially For You came out in 1986 and despite some MTV airplay, didn’t even manage a Gold certification.  It also contained exactly zero Top 40 hits.  The two singles (Blood And Roses and Behind The Wall Of Sleep) are the songs that were in the MTV rotation, but I don’t particularly remember hearing much on the radio.

And that kind of baffles me, because I think it’s outstanding.  You really just have to listen.  It’s Power Pop with some great hooks.  Although I like the album front-to-back, I would say the second side (it starts with Behind The Wall Of Sleep, I know ‘cause I owned the cassette) has a slight edge.  Listen to the individual instruments.  The drumming, which is very snare-based, is just terrific, as is the bass, which is definitely not lost in the mix.    Although the guitar playing may not be Eddie Van Halenish, it fits really well.  I think the guitar solo on Behind The Wall Of Sleep is very nice.  The lead track (Strangers When We Meet) is also one of my favorite tracks.

You guys probably know I really like this band from many of my comments here and there, so I thought it was about time they were featured in AOTW.   You would have no problem finding this, and I believe it’s even been reissued with extra tracks.  I hope you like it, ‘cause you’ll probably be hearing from them again in the future.

Next week: Another of my favorites, from one of my favorite bands that may be from Rockford.  Maybe.

1. Strangers When We Meet

2. Listen To Me Girl

3. Groovy Tuesday

4. Cigarette

5. I Don't Want To Lose You

6. Time And Time Again

7. Behind The Wall Of Sleep

8. In A Lonely Place

9. Blood And Roses

10. Crazy Mixed-Up Kid

11. Hand Of Glory

12. Alone At Midnight

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know you love this but me listening to this is kind of like you listening our prog stuff.  I don't hear what you hear...  But what I do hear is 11 tunes that sound like the theme to "Friends"... 

I totally dig that Blood and Roses tune though!

i used to hate The Smithereens, back when they were played on the radio A LOT. But things changed in the mid-90's when I found an slbum by them in a cutout bin and when I listened, really liked it. Since then I've like The Smithereens. Go figure. 

This is a good album, nice power pop. Scott's right about Blood And Roses, great song, but he has missed the boat on the rest. Now this makes me want to post more from The Smithereens just to anger him.

What's the other album you are referring to?

The one I got for cheap was A Date With The Smithereens which is really good. I also have 11 and their cover album of Tommy.

I guess that means that over time, you'll have to post  A Date With The Smithereens and the Tommy cover album.  And I can post Green Thoughts and 11.  We'll drive Scott crazy together.

That would be fun.

Then September is officially Prog month on SHT, followed by Prism month, then Doucette month, then EWF month, etc... Hahahaha

That's what it's been for the last six months, right?

I use to own this on cassette & I played it to death! Listening to this again, it still sounds good! I love the vocals, they just give me a 60's vibe with the kinda' reverb sound. I remember having 'Green Thoughts" too. I used to keep them in my favorites case, until the case got stolen at an ill-fated beach trip.

Scott's "Friend's" comment was funny, but it does have some merit. Listen to the album again, with that in mind. Too funny! But, I'm with RJ & Jon on this one. Love The Smithereens! 

Ok ok .... I'm gonna try this band again. I was having a cup of coffee with a mutual friend of ours this week and they mentioned that I may be wrong ...

Damn!

I tell you what, just stick around.  Jon and I will give you enough material to make a well informed decision.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos