Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 142 RIVERSIDE - SECOND LIFE SYNDROME (2005)

Artist: Riverside

Genre: Progressive Rock

Country Of Origin: Poland

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Second Life Syndrome

Released: November 8, 2005

Producer: Riverside/Magda & Robert Srzedniccy

Song Of The Week: Volte-Face

If you guys know me at all, you know I'm not much of a prog fan.  And I've never been a fan of really long songs.  By posting this album as Album Of The Week, I'm not saying I'm converted whatsoever, but I will say that it has helped me decide to be a bit more open minded to prog and longer songs equally.  So without further delay, here is a brief bit of information regarding Riverside and their sophomore album Second Life Syndrome:

• Riverside is a Progressive Rock band from Warsaw, Poland.
  • This is a concept album.  It's the second one in a trilogy of albums.
  • The album reached number 22 in Poland.
  • I like the heavier parts more than the quieter parts, but the whole album is entertaining.
  • I usually have problems with singers that have accents, but I have no problems with this.
  • Whether you like this or not, I've got more for you in NMC.

1. After

2. Volte-Face

3. Conceiving You

4. Second Life Syndrome

5. Artificial Smile

6. I Turned You Down

7. Reality Dream III

8. Dance With The Shadow

9. Before

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, so you also have "Shrine Of A New Generation". I see how you are.

What?

All you have to say is let me post it, if that's what you want.  I don't mind.

That's fine. Don't worry about my feelings. Do what you want. I don't care.

Just for that, I'm not posting it.  I have 3 new albums coming in either tomorrow or Monday, so I'm gonna post then.

Yep, don't worry about my feelings......

3 new ones? What you have coming? Is one a band with the initials BW?

Oh, and go ahead with Riverside. It's no big deal. :-)

I don't...

No for BW... I have C, TVM's and S.U.N. coming...

Still may not post Riverside...

I must say that I'm impressed you are going after a Prog release!  Welcome to the club.  This is kind of like Prog-lite it seems to very mid-tempo'd, which I like, and the bass work is awesome!  Second Life Syndrome was really cool and the other long song - Dance With The Shadow, didn't work for me and the closer Before lulls you into this weird ending but it picks up a bit and ends pretty cool.

Volte-Face is the best tune here though.  I need to listen to this again, I'd also like to get a debrief on the concept of these 3 since I'm joining the story at Part II I'm a little lost in the lyrics/story line.

Count me in as someone who'd like to hear their new one as well...

Burnout? I dunno. Kind of a letdown after hearing their new album. They have definitely evolved, that's for sure. The album just reminded me of typical recent prog. It's not bad, but nothing really stuck (like the whole new album). Maybe down the road I'll purchase, but I'm quite happy with the one I got. 

One thing I noticed is that, after the spoken intro on "After" it sounds like the beginning of a certain Ruch song (at least a little bit).

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos