Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #151 SUPERTRAMP - BREAKFAST IN AMERICA (1979)

Artist: Supertramp

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: Great Britain

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Breakfast In America

Released: March 29, 1979

Producer: Peter Henderson/Supertramp

Best Single: Goodbye Stranger

Best Album Cut: Gone Hollywood 

Filler: None

This week's album is a classic.  It's Breakfast In America by Supertramp.  I was never a fan of Supertramp in my youth.  For some reason, their radio hits (except for Goodbye Stranger and Give A Little Bit) just never resonated with me.  I have purchased several of their remastered albums of late, but this is the only one I have listened to.  I'll get around to the others, but for now, let me just say that this one is outstanding.  Here are some odds and ends regarding the album:

• The album is certified 4X Platinum by the RIAA.  This info comes from Wikipedia, however, later in the same article, the site says that it has sold in excess of 6 million copies in the U.S.
  • The album reached number 3 on the Billboard charts (Wikipedia).
  • Four singles were released - The Logical Song (No. 6), Goodbye Stranger (No. 15), Breakfast In America (No. 62) and Take The Long Way Home (No. 10).
  • Breakfast In America won 2 Grammy's in 1980 (Wikipedia).
  • Regarding the cover artwork - (from Wikipedia) The background featured a city made from a Cornflakes box, ashtray, cutlery (for the wharfs), eggboxes, vinegar, ketchup and mustard bottles, all spray painted white. The twin World Trade Center towers appear as two stacks of boxes and the plate of breakfast represents Battery Park, the departure point for the Staten Island Ferry.
  • There is absolutely no filler on this album, with Goodbye Stranger being my favorite Supertramp track.
  • Click this link if you would like to read the Wikipedia article on Breakfast In America.  It's quite interesting.

1. Gone Hollywood

2. The Logical Song

3. Goodbye Stranger

4. Breakfast In America

5. Oh Darling

6. Take The Long Way Home

7. Lord Is It Mine

8. Just Another Nervous Wreck

9. Casual Conversations

10. Child Of Vision

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Loved it from the first time I heard the Logical Song on the radio to this day!

I know Jon would say Child of Vision is the best non-hit tune on the album, and I could never disagree, but I would argue a case for Lord Is It Mine.  Content wise its smarter, more emotionally connected, and musically you hear so much underneath it.  But that describes a lot of songs on here... 

With each listen, still to this day, this album is textured, melodic, lyrically stimulating and beautifully written and produced. 

Wonderful post!  Now get busy listening to their back catalog...  you'll hear how this album evolved...

When this album first came out, I hated it. The songs were played all the time on the radio. A few years after it came out, I picked it up, liked it a bit, but not too much. Now I really do like this album, but it's my third favorite Supertramp album behind "Crime Of The Century" and "Brother Where You Bound".

Good pick though, you need to listen to the rest of the Supertramp you have!

Back in the day, I hated this stuff. Too much keyboards and wimpiness. (I'm not "stealing" from Jon's post...if it wasn't heavy and guitar driven, I just did n't like it.)

But 30-plus years later, I'm liking it. Have heard all the radio cuts, of course, but never the whole thing. Lots of great vocal melody and harmony, obviously. Piano AND organ mixed together here a lot.

Some observations from me: Love the saxaphone "leads" scattered throughout the listen. Talented saxaphonist. And after reading Scott's remarks, I certainly do agree on the record being strong lyrically (I really love the line "take a jumbo, across the water". Not sure why...I just do.) Not much guitar stands out, but I do love the closing lead section on "Goodbye Stranger". The harmonica melody played on "Take The Long Way Home" is fantastic.

Overall, it's not something I'll purchase, due to having heard the hits so many times. But it is a good record. More a pop record to me, than a rock record, but I am ok with that. Very enjoyable to me now. The aging, mellowing Gordy appreciates the post!

OMG (Old Man Gordo)

Thanks for a good laugh! If I get any mellower, I might just turn into a flower child.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos