Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #170 THE SMITHEREENS - GREEN THOUGHTS (1988 - 25TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: The Smithereens

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Green Thoughts

Released: March 16, 1988

Producer: Don Dixon

Best Single: Drown In My Own Tears

Best Album Cut: The World We Know

Hidden Gems: House We Used To Live In/The World We Know/Especially For You/Drown In My Own Tears/Elaine/Spellbound/Green Thoughts

Filler: Something New/Deep Black/If The Sun Doesn't Shine

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from Wikipedia unless otherwise noted.

It's First Friday again, so time for another anniversary album.  Instead of '93 ('cause I'm really tired of that year and I really don't have much music from '93), I'm moving in reverse to 1988.  This band is a personal favorite of mine (and Scott's too).  It's The Smithereens with Green Thoughts, their sophomore album.  

• Only A Memory cracked the Billboard Hot 100 at #92 and was also a number one hit on the Album Rock Tracks chart (whatever that is).
  • If that background voice sounds familiar on The World We Know, that would be Del Shannon.
  • Steve Berlin of Los Lobos performs the sax solo on Especially For You.
  • The album was recorded and mixed in 16 days (per officialsmithereens.com).

Like I said, I'm a big fan of The Smithereens.  It's outstanding Power Pop.  Pat Dinizio is a fantastic songwriter and the band members are not slouches at their respective instruments.  

Track Listing (Singles Marked With An Asterisk)

1. Only A Memory*

2. House We Used To Live In*

3. Something New

4. The World We Know

5. Especially For You

6. Drown In My Own Tears*

7. Deep Black

8. Elaine

9. Spellbound

10. If The Sun Doesn't Shine

11. Green Thoughts

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the life of me I cant figure out where Ive gone wrong to deserve all this punishment.  Not that the Simthereens are terrible or anything, it just that once youve heard a couple of their songs, thats enough!  They all run together after that.

Regionally this is probably a great hometown band, and since we have a majority of Gerogia participants this must work well.

I for one just dont get it.  Its probably just me, but Gordon eluded to it as well, once is enough.

Except now we have the 72nd edition of the Smithereens to weed through.  11 sonngs that sound like one long one.

No need to listen if youve ever heard them before, theres nothing new here.

Don't think Im a hater, just not my style.

So is it weird that I would prefer another Tom Petty release over this?  Which band has gotten more airtime on here?

Wishbone Ash.

subliminal message alert!  Knew you would miss it!

Friends?

I can neither confim nor deny...  I have sworm an oath not to mention anything concerning said show ...  I cant even mention bands that sound like a certain unnamed theme song either.  

Yeah, I dreaded typing that word. BAD FLASHBACKS!!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos