Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #183 UFO - OBSESSION (35TH ANNIVERSARY - 1978)

Artist: UFO

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: Great Britain

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Obsession

Meet The Band: Phil Mogg (Vocals)/Michael Schenker (Guitar)/Paul Raymond (Rhythm Guitar/Keyboards/Vocals)/Pete Way (Bass)/Andy Parker (Drums)

Producer: Ron Nevison

Best Songs: Only You Can Rock Me/Ain't No Baby/Lookin' Out For No. 1/Cherry/You Don't Fool Me/One More For The Rodeo/Born To Lose

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

I guess since I've been torturing Jon and Scott by posting Springsteen and Bon Jovi in two of the last three weeks that I'll make 'em quite happy this week.  Yep, instead of Poison, your Album Of The Week is Obsession by UFO.  I will once again say I'm quite new to UFO. The first album by them I bought was the most recent, Seven Deadly.  I've gone back and picked up a box set from the early years and now I want more.  This is great stuff.

It's just straight forward rock.  Vocalist Mogg has a distinct voice (especially now that he's much older).  And do I need to even mention the guitar playing here?  I don't think so. Like I said earlier, every time I hear a UFO album I want to strengthen my collection.  I have six studio albums now, but as soon as I get my Amazon cards for Christmas, I have two 5 album box sets lined up to purchase, which would only leave me 5 studio albums short of the entire catalog.  

Enough about me, go get this album if you don't already have it.  It's fantastic from start to finish.

1. Only You Can Rock Me

2. Pack It Up (And Go)

3. Arbory Hill

4. Ain't No Baby

5. Lookin' Out For No. 1

6. Hot 'n' Ready

7. Cherry

8. You Don't Fool Me

9. Lookin' Out For No. 1 (Reprise)

10. One More For The Rodeo

11. Born To Lose

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oops, see what happens when you copy, paste and erase while listening to the greatness of The Raven That Refused To Sing?

Only You Can Rock Me, Pack It Up (And Go), Cherry, You Don't Fool Me, Born To Lose

Interesting that you don't agree on Rush. Maybe you're just slighting me. That's ok.

no, just missed it...  Rush's run of greatness is unequaled!

You also forgot Chinatown

I knew that, I was testing you ...  you passed

This is one of UFO's best. And that is saying something. Michael Schenker's playing on this is fantastic.

"Hot N Ready" is my favorite track. Just listen to Schenker shred on this masterpiece!

Not only one of UFO's best, but one of the best hard rock albums of all time.

One of the most underrated bands ever. Why has classic rock pretty much forgotten about these guys? They have a great catalog of catchy tunes and as others have stated, put together six of the best hard rock albums ever. (They also have perhaps the greatest reunion album ever with Walk on Water).

Agreed! It's really hard to pick a "best" UFO album. "Obsession", "Lights Out", "Force It", and "Walk On Water" are all brilliant albums. "Covenant" is also a great one. And of course, I'm not forgetting any of the others.

It's a shame they never made it as big as they deserved, but you can bet your last dollar that UFO is a favorite of many professional rock musicians world wide. Kind of like King's X....never got that big, but musicians know their worth and contributions to rock music.

And by the way, for UFO fans who never heard "High Stakes And Dangerous Men"...if you can find the remastered version, it's a great record, as well. Laurence Archer totally kills on guitar on this rare, little record. And every time I listen to it, I think of how Phil Mogg may have just given his best studio performance  on this. Not only his singing, but his lyrics as well.

I've been wantring that High Stakes, but the price is a bit too high for my taste. I believe that's the only one I don't have (minus any other live albums other than Strangers).

High priced CD's go on your "I want for Christmas" list!!

Don't know if you saw it, but I really enjoyed that 707 album you posted last time!

Yeah, I saw that. You have taste!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos