Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 212 FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS - PICKIN' UP THE PIECES (2010)

Artist: Fitz And The Tantrums

Genre: Neo Soul/Indie Pop

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Pickin' Up The Pieces

Producer: Chris Seefried/Michael Fitzpatrick

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. MoneyGrabber...2. Breakin' The Chains Of Love...3. Pickin' Up The Pieces...4. Dear Mr. President...5. Tighter

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it).

I'm throwin' a curve this week.  It's time for something a little different. The pick was inspired by Jon's NMC featuring the throwback band Rival Sons.  This week's Album Of The Week is Pickin' Up The Pieces by Fitz And The Tantrums.

I saw this band for the first time on Daryl Hall's TV show.  I was amazed at how much the lead vocalist Michael Fitzpatrick sounds like Daryl Hall.  I was impressed enough by that and the song MoneyGrabber to pick up this album.  It's not rock or classic rock.  It's throwback soul.  To the dismay of some (myself included), there is no guitar presence at all.  But I still like it and find the music quite cool.   By the way, the album was recorded in Fitzpatrick's living room.

Anyway, I know it's a departure from the usual, but sometimes you just need to open up your mind and try something a bit different.  

1. Breakin' The Chains Of Love

2. Dear Mr. President

3. Pickin' Up The Pieces

4. MoneyGrabber

5. L.O.V.

6. News 4 U

7. Don't Gotta Work It Out

8. Rich Girls

9. Winds Of Change 

10. Tighter

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely different. Not bad...the vocals, both lead, and harmony, are very good. Best "asset" of this listen is the vocal work, for sure.  "Rich Girls" is a very cool track. Love the bass line, the organ, and the vocals.

I had an epiphany...  This album could be the soundtrack to Napoleon Dynamite...  Same style.

I guess, if we all lived in your world.

WTHFFFF?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos