Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Pearl Jam

Genre: Rock/Grunge

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Ten

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. Jeremy...2. Even Flow...3. Garden...4. Black...5. Alive

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it).

I think this week we will revisit an era that some love and some hate.  The era better known as "grunge".  There were several bands that rose to fame during this period, but none more so than Pearl Jam.  So this week we look at the debut Ten.  First, a few facts:

• This album was monstrous, selling 13 X Platinum.
  • Yet it only reached number 2 in the U.S.
  • Billy Ray Cyrus was in the number 1 spot at that time.
  • Alive, Even Flow and Jeremy all did well on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart.
  • The song Black reached number 3 on the same chart although it was never released as a single.

Enough facts.  How 'bout some thoughts:

• When I listened to this album back in the 90's, I exclusively listened to the first six songs.
  • Now, however, the only song I would consider skipping is Deep.
  • I think Mike McCready is a fantastically underrated guitar player.
  • Or maybe it's Stone Gossard that I feel that way about, not sure who plays what.
  • The guitar solo on Alive is very similar to Ace Frehley's on She.
  • This is really the only Pearl Jam album that I love.

1. Once

2. Even Flow

3. Alive

4. Why Go

5. Black 

6. Jeremy

7. Oceans 

8. Porch

9. Garden

10. Deep

11. Release

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yuck.

Just 4 U.

joy

Jon's so predictable...  except for his eggs and bakey posts... hahahaha.

But this post does call into question a few of things...

1 - What is this sites definition of Classic Rock?  I'd thought we mentioned at one time that the cut off was 25 years.  No matter, its a valid post as were walking that line soon enough.

2 - Does Pearl Jam represent classic rock at its roots?  I think the answer to this is Yes.  There is much to love about the geeeetar work on Ten.  Sure the solos are missing, but the riffs are not.  And to your point about McCready and/or Gossard.  McCready's appearance on That Metal Show give us that glimpse into the Classic Rock influence of his song writing.

3 - If I transport myself back 1991, I was dead set against this Grunge movement.  Hated it in fact.  I wonder if others felt that same at the time and if, over time, they rethought this position and came to like some of the bands of the era...  And what caused them to embrace it...

So wether we say this is or isn't Classic Rock its a valid post and I hope it generates much discussion...

No. I have never embraced it. Conversation over.

Are there any bands that came from this era that you like?  I wouldn't say Pearl Jam is my favorite, heck I wouldn't even say they were great.  I like their first few albums and their new one isn't bad, but that's about it. 

For me Stone Temple Pilots get the nod as my favorite "90's" band...

I like Alice in Chains and STP, but really don't consider them grunge. AIC is hard rock/metal, STP is kinda glammy.

I never got AIC, too depressing...  But STP!  Now those guys had it all in front of them, they just had a front man who couldn't get out of his own way...  Still true to this day.  Shame to, his talent was the best of the 90's at lead vocalist. 

I didn't use your player for my listen, I used my copy of Ten [Legacy Edition] in my iTunes library.  This album is top to bottom really great rock and roll.  Sure, there's Vedder's muddled vocal delivery, and the noticeable lack of extended geeeetar solos.  By the way, Why Go and Garden have some really cool geeeetar solos, so there not totally missing.

The mix is raw but tight, holds up well, an the Legacy Edition enhances that really nicely. 

5 of the first 6 tracks are pretty universal.  Why Go being the exception, that's a shame to, thats a great tune!  I would have a hard time believing someone who has never heard any of the 5 remaining.  I admit that Jeremy doesn't really work for me.  Never really got why it blew up so big except for the subject matter the tune is just OK.  Would agree with you that Deep is the filler on the disc.

Release ends the disc nicely, but I've never got why they extended it the way they did.  I guess to end at the beginning?

Who knows...

Nice work this week boss!!! Looking forward to more discussion.

WHat the hell is this poster's problem??? Twice he has mentioned Billy Ray Cyrus today. Makes me physically ill.

Be careful not to break his heart, his achy-breaky heart...

Maybe he was mentioned to make you physically ill.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos