Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 247 KINGDOM COME - KINGDOM COME (1988)

Artist: Kingdom Come

Genre: Heavy Metal/Hard Rock

Nationality: German

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Kingdom Come

Producer: Bob Rock/Lenny Wolf

Release Date: 1988

Running Time: 48:25

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Now Forever After...2. Pushin' Hard...3.Living Out Of Touch 

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Peak Billboard Chart Position: #12

Singles: Get It On/What Love Can Be/Living Out Of Touch

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

We continue March Metal Madness with a visit back to the Headbanger's Ball days of MTV. Personally, I think this is borderline metal, probably more hard rock.  But Wikipedia says both, so I'm running with it.  Your Album of the Week is the self-titled debut from Kingdom Come.

What I remember about this band is thinking they sound an awful lot like Led Zeppelin.  When I listen back now, not nearly as much.  Wolf still sounds like Plant when he reaches those high pitched notes, but that is about it.  They pretty well fit the bill with the long, teased up hair.  The only video I found was Get It On, which is the song I remember best, but the video is dubbed.  

What do you remember about this band or video?  Did you consider Kingdom Come a metal band?  Talk to me, let me know your thoughts.

1. Living Out Of Touch

2. Pushin' Hard

3. What Love Can Be

4. 17

5. The Shuffle

6. Get It On

7. Now Forever After

8. Hideaway

9. Loving You

10. Shout It Out

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kingdom Clone!!!!!!

I remember coming accross this album in the record-store with a note on it "Album of the year!!" or something like that. That was probably in april 1988, if I remember correctly. I bought the album, and was blown away. I thought it was AWESOME, because I've always loved riff-rock. At the time, I was seeing a Metal-show at SKY TV-channel, and not Headbanger's Ball, because I couldn't see MTV until years later. It was Mick Wall (journalist and writer at among other's Kerrang and Classic Rock Magazine) who was the host at the show, and he was the one, that clearly pointed out to me, that this band was ripping off Zeppelin. He had a contest, where you could win the KC-album, if you could mention all the Led Zeppelin-albums "not including this one", as he said. At the time, I wasn't that much "in to" Zeppelin, but I figured if this band was ripping them off, I had to "try out" the REAL thing, and therefore I bough IV, and never looked back. Actually in May '88, I saw Kingdom come as support to Magnum. Kingdom come were definitely a Zeppelin-rip off, but I bought their next album also, but it sucked. Were they really german? I thought, it was the lead-singer, that was german, and not the entire band?

Hey!  What a coincidence, I did a Headbangers Ball post too!!! 

I remember the fuss about this band but not much else, came and went quickly...  Will get to this soon...

I don't have an issue with this album even though it's a Zeppelin ripoff. We weren't going to be getting any new Zeppelin anyway, so why not have something that kinda maybe sorta reminds you of them? Without this album, Gary Moore wouldn't have written "Led Clones" so you've gotta give kudos for that. There's some really good riffage on this album, plus Wolf has a good voice even though he sounds like someone else. Kind of a shame, the followup to this is really, really good plus the album cover is quite funny in a childish sort of way. Do I think they're metal? Not really.

I don't think I've ever listened to the whole album, but I know a couple of my buddies had it back in the day, so maybe I have??  1988 was a busy year for me, so who knows....

I hear some of the Zeppelin similarities but the songs are no where near as complex and layered - there is no John Paul Jones feel here, so its missing something.  Its good rock and roll though, the singer is definitely able to sing like a young Plant...  Maybe this would sound better properly remastered?  Otherwise I'm in the take-it-or-leave-it camp.  Meaning I wouldn't complain if it were to be played again but I wouldn't be the one to pick it.

17 is really cool though...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos