Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 272 PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS - BAND ON THE RUN (1973)

Artist: Paul McCartney & Wings

Genre: Rock

Nationality: Anglo-American

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No (McCartney with The Beatles)

Album: Band On The Run

Producer: Paul McCartney

Release Date: December 5, 1973

Running Time: 44:17

RIAA Certification: Triple Platinum

Peak Billboard Chart Position: #1

Singles: Helen Wheels (#19)/Jet (#7)/Band On The Run (#1)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

One more week in 1973, then it's on to '74.  This week's Album of the Week is Band On The Run by Paul McCartney and Wings.  It's the band's third studio album and the fifth release by McCartney after the breakup of The Beatles.  Drummer Denny Seiwell and guitarist Henry McCullough left the band right before the album was recorded, and they weren't replaced for the album.

It sold very well, though it was sluggish at the outset, eventually being certified Triple Platinum and becoming the band's biggest seller.  Two huge singles (Band On The Run and Jet) certainly helped that.  

I have the 25th Anniversary Edition, which is awesome.  With most of the two cd sets that I have bought, the bonus disc has rarely if ever been played.  But I listened to the bonus disc for this one the other day, and it's fantastic.  It has some terrific commentary by McCartney and others.  It plays like a documentary, with the wonderful story of the album cover (which includes James Coburn and Christopher Lee, among others) and the story of how Dustin Hoffman inspired the song Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me).  Also included are a killer live version (soundcheck) of Jet (a song that I've never been that fond of, but hearing this has put it in a totally different light) and a cool practice version of Let Me Roll It.  This version is sitting at about 25 dollars on Amazon but you can get the remastered Archive Collection version for around half that price.  What are you waiting for?

Side One:

1. Band On The Run

2. Jet

3. Bluebird

4. Mrs. Vanderbilt

5. Let Me Roll It

Side Two:

6. Mamunia

7. No Words

8. Helen Wheels

9. Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)

10. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best "McCartney-album" after The Beatles. The big question kind of is, which album is the best "after The Beatles"-album: This one, Imagine or (probably my favorite) All Things Must Pass. (Poor Ringo).

1. I remember this song from back then, meaning, I was around 9 years old, when it was played on the radio. One of the 3 best McCartney-tunes, besides his Beatles-output.

2. Jet is a good track, but not one of my favorites by McCartney. I've heard it too many times, I think.

3. A nice little tune with Mr. and Mrs. McCartney.

4. Yeah, what's to say, another fine song, but not Beatles-standard. As always, I like the sound of the start of the 70's in the production. Ho-Hey-Hoh!!

5. I think, McCartney still plays this one live, and I don't really know why, because I don't really think it's very good. The weakest track on side 1.

6. Hmmmm, the sound of McCartney being too mellow. The sound of Lennon singing "the only thing you done was yesterday, and since you've gone it's just another day", where McCartney mistakely thought, that Lennon meant the actual songs, but was playing with the words. This is a weak track imo. Trash rather than smash.

7. The sound of The Beatles, well kind of. It's easy to hear, where ELO got the inspiration. Not from Lennon. Much better than Mamunia. But that's the strength (and not) of McCartney: He doesn't want to write the same song twice, or didn't. Like "Got To Get You Into My Life", this track is too short.

8. Good rythm. One of the best singers ever imo. Another good track, kind of like a Glam Rock-sound, and this album WAS released in the middle of the hight of english Glam rock. I remember seeing Paul and Linda in their Glam-outfit. Good song.

9. Hmmmm, the actual song is slow and boring, and then the unnecessary reprise of Jet and Mrs. Vanderbilt. This is filler. 

10. ALWAYS be sure to end a great album, with a great tune. Not the best track on the album, obviously, but it's good enough. Great "piano-riff" and again proof, that McCartney is a GREAT singer.

A classic album, and a classic album-cover.

This is an album that everyone needs to own. Not a bad song on the album, just fantastic from start to finish.

I have this version as well as the 3 disc set that came out a couple years ago. With just a quick glance, I don't believe there's much of an overlap (if any) between the extras on both versions, so it would be wise to get the 3 disc set if you don't have it. The third disc is a movie, so that's pretty cool as well.

Now, just need the remaining Wings' albums to come out under the Archive Collection!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos