Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Cream

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (1993)

Album: Disraeli Gears

Producer: Felix Pappalardi

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's Album of the Week is Disraeli Gears by the power trio, super group Cream. If you guessed Cream from all of my terrific clues on Facebook, then you are really smart. Disraeli Gears managed to chart at number 4 in America and has been certified Platinum by the RIAA.  The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.

Two singles were released (Strange Brew and Sunshine Of Your Love).  Sunshine Of Your Love was a number 5 Gold selling single in the U.S.  You also get plenty of album cuts with this album, as it's a pleasure to listen to.  My favorites songs here are Strange Brew, Sunshine Of Your Love, World Of Pain and Tales Of Brave Ulysses.

This album is readily available on CD.  You can pick it up in remastered format for just over seven U.S. dollars on Amazon.  Does this album hold any special meaning to you?

Side One:

1. Strange Brew

2. Sunshine Of Your Love

3. World Of Pain

4. Dance The Night Away

5. Blue Condition

Side Two:

6. Tales Of Brave Ulysses

7. SWLABR

8. We're Going Wrong

9. Outside Woman Blues

10. Take It Back

11. Mother's Lament

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where's the player? Nevermind, it finally popped up.

Yeah, so I guess I came the closest with my guess? What do I win?

Just a classic, classic album. Even though I'm not the biggest Clapton fan, he is quite good here. He had a tendency to veer toward the soft rock route with some of his solo work, but this is just powerful stuff, even the "mellower" songs. I guess this is one of those albums that you should have in your collection and if you don't, your collection is incomplete.

Now I wait for my prize.

"Does this album hold any special meaning to you"?

Nope.

What I own by this band is a "Geatest Hits-album", and I don't like it. Well, I like a few songs from it, among them the first two tracks from this album. I've got a Cream-VOTW, that I've hold back for quite a while now, and it probably won't be posted until some time next year (unless, I already posted it? Can't remember). I don't know, I don't really like the persons in this band. They seem to be "show off's" in a bad way, especially Bruce and Baker, but also Clapton. They also have that late 60's sound like Hendrix, that doesn't really appeal to me. If Hendrix had lived a bit longer and this band had excisted longer, I might had have a differnet opinion about them, like The Who, because if The Who had dispanded in say 1969 (before releasing Tommy, their best album), or Pink Floyd had dispanded before DSOTM, I would probably feel the same about them. I really don't like hippies or their music.

Listening to it, I realize, that almost the full album appear on my "Best off"-album. Either that, or I've heard it more times, than I thought, because each and every song sounds very, very familiar to me.

TOBU has an awesome riff, and the best thing about Cream was some of their riffs.

Bruce is the best singer, but I certainly prefer Clapton's voice.

Okay, I'm done listening, and it's a good album all the way through, well except for "Mother's Lament", It's a classic. I need to listen, before I "talk".

But off course, I mean what I "said".

"differnet"...is that like the different internet?

Whatever it is, I like it!!!

Yeah, okay, let's mock the foreigner. I now want you to write an essay in danish in 500 words, without use of a dictionary. And....I DID write "different", but the damn IPad corrects, when no correction is needed.
:-))

Hey, it's not classified as mockery when I post a smiley face...

Never heard this album before, except the radio tunes of course.  So no special meaning for me either ...

Cant say its really working for me either.  Its definitely a cool listening experience, but I had thought I would hear some pioneering work, but all I hear is a very 60's sounding album.  Nothing groundbreaking here.  Maybe that's why Clapton took off?

Don't take that wrong though.  The guitar work is really cool and Clapton, as Jon said, is quite good here. Tales of Brave Ulysses is a good example, I love the sound he gets out of the guitar but its too little focus on the guitar IMO.  The songs also seem to follow a template with the exception of Mothers Lament which sounds like it belong sin a Monty Python skit.

I've almost bought this a few times as it seemed like it was a needed part of any classic rock fans collection. But I'm glad I didn't.   Nice post as usual, very worthwhile time spent ...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos