Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 308 NEIL YOUNG - TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT (1975)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Okay, so I changed my mind.  Instead of doing a few weeks of more recently released albums, I'm going back to some older stuff.  I've been in a discovery of old music mood lately, so let's explore some of that, knowing that what may be discovery to me may be old hat to you.  This week let's discuss Tonight's The Night by Neil Young.  I purchased this album while reading a book about the artist.  There was no particular reason I picked Tonight's The Night, I just wanted an early NY album that I didn't already have.

The album did fairly well on the Billboard chart, topping out at number 25.  Apparently, no singles were released from the album.  The album was actually recorded about two years before it was released.  The title track mentions Bruce Berry ("Bruce Berry was a working man, he used to love that Econoline van), a roadie for Young that died in 1973.  That's probably my favorite track on the album, but the whole album is quite cool.  Not a bad song to be heard.  It's a little loose and a bit disjointed, but it works wonderfully.  And the best thing is that it can be purchased on Amazon, brand new, for $4.99.  Also, the title track appears twice, leading off and closing the album.  I'm not sure why, but the credits list the closing track as thirteen seconds longer than the opening track. My tracklisting lists the closer as Tonight's The Night (Part II).

Here's an interesting nugget...according to Scott Young, Neil's father, there is an unreleased version of the album that he describes as unrelenting.  Supposedly, David Briggs (co-producer of the album), found the original tape and Neil supposedly said that he would release it one day. One can hope.

Side One:

1. Tonight's The Night

2. Speakin' Out

3. World On A String

4. Borrowed Tune

5. C'mon Baby Let's Go Downtown (Live)

6. Mellow My Mind

Side Two:

7. Roll Another Number

8. Alburquerque

9. New Mama

10. Lookout Joe

11. Tired Eyes 

12. Tonight's The Night (Part II)

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite Neil young-CD is the double CD "Decade". As far as I know, it was released as a triple best of-album back in the 70's. As in the case of Dylan, I prefer the old stuff from mr. Young, and usually when I reach the song "Tonight's The Night" I loose interest in listening anymore.

But I've never heard the ALBUM "Tonight's The Night", so here we go:

1. Obviously, I've heard this song before, and I'm not impressed.

2. Better than the first song, but nothing special.

3. This on also appears on Decade. I don't know how many times I've heard it, though, since I usually stop before this song. But I have heard it, and again, I'm not impressed.

4. Sounds more like the Young, I like, but still the song is too simple, compared to earlier songs, Sugar Mountain for example or Old Man, Man Needs A Maid aso.

5. But off course, one of the best things about Young is that you don't really know, what you get, until you hear the song. This is a nice little rock-tune, and still not bad, but not good enough, and I'm still not impressed.

6. A great singer, he ain't. Again, not bad, but still...

7. But he has a great voice. A slow C&W-song, more of the same "whatever"-music. Nice piano, though. Probably by Young.

8. He also has a nice guitar-sound, even though he's not a great guitarist. Another slow track. More of the same, not impressed.

9. Good start, hopefully a better tune. CSN&Y-harmonies. Definitely best song so far, but too short.

10. Sure this one ain't about the roadie? Just kiddin'. Same ol' same ol'. Not impressed. Sounds like the boring songs, The Band played, and I certainly wasn't impressed by "The Last Waltz", no sir!! Okay, the song gets a little better near the end. It almost sounds like Harisson on Guitar. Actually the second-best song so far.

11. Was he half asleep doing this album? I know this one, probably from my NY-box-set. Okay song, but again not among his best, far from it.

12. When is a song so amazingly good, that you need it twice on an album? Absolutley never ever. One of the versions are better than the other, so why waste time on the worst version? 

I would call myself a semi-version of a Neil Young-fan, but I won't be listening to this album again, if I can help it.

As Dylan, Young had a periode where he was a genius. This was after that periode.

Just amazing the string of incredible album this here guy has put out. Basically everything from the late 60's to early 80's is must-have. Can't think of anyone else like that considering he put out a bazillion albums during that time.

Not a bad song to be found here, even though you misspelled track #8. Sure the thousands of people from New Mexico that visit this site might be a little upset about that extra "r".

he basically did the same with "Rust Never Sleeps" with basically the same song opening and closing the album. He's quirky. 

Man, I would love to hear the "unrelenting" version of this. That would be cool!!

I like it well enough, but its no Harvest or Harvest Moon and those are squarely in my wheelhouse.  Albaquirky is the best track on here for me.

Jon's right though (I hate it when that happens), there's not a bad song here, but there's not a great one either.  Not a purchase for me, but worthwhile to hear!

One more clarification ...  Young is always quirky, but on this album he's Alba-quirky!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos