Classic Rock Bottom

by "far be it from me to interrupt a series" Scott...

This weeks Album of the Week finds us continuing a long and uninterrupted series of #1 albums and today, I believe, we have a fine one for you.  A bit of a respite from the heavy rock sounds of late, but an upgrade in the quality of guitarist the album showcases.  Terry Kath is, how you say, Amazeballs!  Here are some facts about this album...

• This is Chicago's Eighth album, in case your Roman Numeral challenged...
  • It was released in 1975 and peaked at #1 for the shortest time of any prior Chicago album, and they had a string of #1's!
  • This album was mixed and released in both stereo and quadraphonic. In 2002, Chicago VIII was remastered and reissued by Rhino Records with two unreleased songs: "Sixth Sense" (an instrumental, or possibly a backing track) by Kath and "Bright Eyes" by Lamm, as well as a version of "Satin Doll" recorded for a Dick Clark's "Rockin' New Year's Eve" special
  • Inside the original LP package was an iron-on t-shirt decal of the album cover and a poster of the band in a station wagon being pulled over by a policeman.

Here are some briefs comments from reviews I've read...

• Great album front to back, although not great for the tourists. Undeserving of the bad reputation, I have always considered this album somewhat of a hidden gem in the monstrous Chicago catalog.
  • Great musicianship (something that can never be denied to Chicago), some pretty awesome songwriting, and, well, Terry Kath.
  • Avec son huitième opus, Chicago entre dans sa phase "décousue" (ce qui vaut toujours mieux que la phase "daube" qui adviendra quelques années plus tard).

Well, you get the idea, it's a fine fine album!!  Give it a listen and let us know what you think...

Side One...

1. "Anyway You Want"
  2. "Brand New Love Affair, Part I & II"
  3. "Never Been in Love Before"
  4. "Hideaway
  5. "Till We Meet Again"

Side Two...

1. "Harry Truman"
  2. "Oh, Thank You Great Spirit"
  3. "Long Time No See"
  4. "Ain't It Blue?"
  5. "Old Days"

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't say, that I'm a Chicago-fan, they are only a "Greatest Hits"-band to me. Or "my sister's band".

And on that greatest hits, I bought in..1998, only the most wellknown songs appeal to me. I did buy, and like a Chicago-CD released in 1986, though.

And "A Hard Habit To Break" is a very good song, but that appeared on the album before the one, I bought.

Listening to the first track...and now the second, it sounds like (surprisingly) the usual american "feel-good" sound, which is okay, and very professional (great musicianship), but tend to bore the shit out of me. This is the kind of music that is played on the radio all of the time...or was back then. Second song sounds exactly like a Ray Charles-song...the first half anyway. Second half sounds better. Another thing I'm not that fond of, is all those trumpets and whatever. I never really liked trumpets, saxophones and thar kind of instruments.

Song 3 is good.

Song 4 starts with a Nazareth-riff (and a Manny Charlton-solo?!)?! I never did hear a heavy Chicago-track? Funny. It's good, well kind of.

Song 5 was okay, but kind of an forgettable ballad.

Song 6 sounds like Randy Newman. Pretty forgettable.

Song 7 is booooring. The album is certainly not getting better and better....but this song is getting a little better, but it's much too long. Nah, it's a waste of my time.

Song no. 8 sounds a bit like a Mott The Hoople-track. But again a bit forgettable.

Song 9, and we're back to that not un-cool american sound. Good? Hmmmm...?!

10 is rock'n'roll again...no hold on, it's not. Cetera or whatever his name is, has THE sound of Chicago, but at this time, they didn't really have the songs. I guess it was the next album in line, where "If You Leave Me Now" appeared. THAT song I remember from back then, and that's a great song.

This album is.....okay, but I doubt it, if I ever hear it again. 2.5/6

Glad you liked part of it!

Man, Terry Kath was a beast on the ole geetar, was he not????

I have this and was a bit leery about getting it after reading a review or two that weren't positive but I bought it anyway because of the birdy on the cover. Must say I was happy with the purchase. 

Man, that geetar solo on "Ok, Thank You Great Spirit" is just beastly, is it not????

Did you know that I did a term paper (or two) on Harry Truman? I might know something about that fella.

Yep, very enjoyable album, critics be damned. 

As I get ready to cut the lawn, I'm listening to track #7 again. Know why? IT'S BEASTLY!!!!!!

Kath is a cool cat man!

You guys did good this week.  Two very nice albums posted.  I agree with you about Terry Kath.  He was an amazing guitarist.  He was also a terrific singer.  This band was definitely blessed in that department.  Other than 17, I'm pretty sure this is the first Chicago album I have heard in it's entirety.  

Really, only one song didn't register for me, and that was Harry Truman.  Hideaway was a complete pleasure to listen to. Kath's guitar playing really stood out here.  As it did on Oh, Thank You Great Spirit.

Very nice post my friend.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos