Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 333 CAT STEVENS - TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN (1970)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Cat Stevens is a British singer songwriter who released multiple albums under that stage name before converting to Islam and changing his name to Yusuf Islam.  Tea For The Tillerman is his fourth studio album, released way, way back in 1970.  I'll share with you the inspiration for my choosing Cat.  You see, my wife and I were watching the latest episode of This Is Us the other night and the music they were playing sounded like Cat Stevens.  I have no idea if it was or not because I don't read television credits.  But it inspired me to feature one of his albums this week, and this is the only one I own.  

Here are some nuggets regarding the album:

• Tea For The Tillerman reached number 8 on the Billboard Pop Albums Chart.
  • The album has been certified Triple Platinum.
  • Wild World reached number 11 on the Pop Singles chart.
  • That song has been covered by numerous artists, including Garth Brooks, Jimmy Cliff and Mr. Big, who's version climbed as high as number 27 in the US.
  • The album was included in the 2006 book 1001 Albums You Must Here Before You Die.
  • The album cover artwork was created by Stevens.
  • All songs were written by Stevens.

The only personal note I will add is that the song Sad Lisa is very cool.  You can pick up a remastered version for just under 11 bucks on Amazon.

1. Where Do The Children Play?

2. Hard Headed Woman

3. Wild World

4. Sad Lisa

5. Miles From Nowhere

6. But I Might Die Tonight

7. Longer Boats

8. Into White

9. On The Road Tonight

10. Father And Son

11. Tea For The Tillerman

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't watched TIU and never will. I prefer watching shows with messages so I can learn something, and that show doesn't seem to fit the mold. I am not them, therefore this is not us. Seems like a show built around lies, lies and more lies.

I remember seeing this album in a record store. Never bought it or even listened to it until earlier this year (I think) since it was one of those Amazon prime albums. Have a Cat Stevens comp so I've heard all the hits but I did like this album when I finally listened to it way back then, and like it now. Now I just have to buy it one of these days........

I liked Cat Stevens Greatest Hits (much like Jon eludes to) and never heard nay deep cuts of his.  This is interesting, though it is not easy to sit through an entire Singer/Songwriter album in one sitting.  They do tend to run slow and can be a bit depressing.  Not saying they are bad, just saying I need to be picky about when and where I can.

Wild World is purely awesome, its just a great song.  I see why you like Sad Lisa it is quite nice.  And really the songs here I have no issue with, Im just more into heavy blues and a heavier sound for the past few months, so this doesn't strike me quite as nicely as it seems it should.  Heres where my spotify spiel comes in...  I do want to check into his catalog more, but I dont hear anything I want to purchase.

Nice work this week.  I can find no obvious signs of collusion for the first time is quite a while...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos