Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 52.5 FAIR TO MIDLAND - FABLES FROM A MAYFLY: WHAT I TELL YOU THREE TIMES IS TRUE (SPECIAL EDITION)

1. Dance Of The Manatee

2. Kyla Cries Cologne

3. Vice Versa

4. The Wife, The Kids, And The White Pickett Fence

5. April Fools And Eggmen/Ciperion

6. A Seafarer's Knot

7. A Wolf Descends Upon The Spanish Sahara

8. Walls Of Jericho

9. Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes

10. Upgrade Brigade/When The Bough Breaks

11. Say When

Fair To Midland is an alternative metal band according to Wikipedia.  Fables From A Mayfly, released in 2007, is their third album but it's the band's first major label release.  It's the only one I own, but a new album is set for release on July 12 and I will be purchasing that one.  As far as I can tell, the only single released from the album is Dance Of The Manatee, which I heard on the radio.  It was good enough to me to warrant a purchase, and I have not been dissapointed.

I can't think of any other band that sounds like this.  The songs can be quite complex lyrically, and I'm wondering if this is some kind of political or environmental statement sponsored by Greenpeace.  The best advice I can give you is to throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.  It did for me.  My only problem with it is sometimes the vocals are a little annoying, but not always.  Jon has to be familiar with it since he posted a mystery song from the album, but as of yet I don't know if it's an album he likes or not.

It's relatively easy to find.  Amazon has it new for less than 8 dollars.  The cover is nothing to write home about and the song titles are somewhat ridiculous, but the music is what it's all about.  Let me know what you think.

Favorite Song: Dance Of The Manatee

Most Likely To Skip: A Seafarer's Knot

Click this link to hear the album: Fair To Midland - Fables From A Mayfly

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wanna know why I picked up this album when it came out?

That's right...because they were wearing rubber pants and a member had a banjo. No joke.

Thats as good a reason as any...so do you like it or not?
Yes I do. And I am NOT kidding about that picture. I was thinking "Metal with a BANJO? Just gots to be good!"

First song sounded....kind of okay, because of a weird mix of different genre's, one second I thought of Simple Minds and the next second I was thinking of Judas Priest.....but then he started to, yeah whatever he did, but sing, and I did NOT like that.

It also (now I'm on song no.2) sound like post-grunge, and a lot of american bands, sound like that these days. I don't really care for the guitar-sound, but song no.2 is ...good.

I'm on track no. 6 now, and can hear why Jon likes the album, banjo or no banjo. It sounds a bit like something he would post in LAOTW fx MSoTW, but how would I know, there's no reason for me to listen to that any more  (MSoTW I mean)

I kind of like what I hear, but nothing really stands out, like Whoah, that's a good song, maybe "Walls of Jericho". It's okay, but not a purchase for me. I don't really like the singer, and now I'm on track no. 10, and I'm getting a bit tired of the album.

But as usual, it's nice to hear an album or a band, that you did'nt really know existed, and that's why this site rules!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos