Album: Rock And Roll Over
Producer: Eddie Kramer
Band Members: Gene Simmons/Ace Frehley/Peter Criss/Paul Stanley
Singles: Calling Dr. Love/Hard Luck Woman
Best Single/Best Album Cut: Hard Luck Woman/Take Me
Best Of The Rest: Everything
RIAA Certification: Platinum
Album Cover: 10/10

A couple of Crissmas gifts for you this week.  I picked Rock And Roll Over because it has one of my favorite Peter Criss songs on it (Hard Luck Woman), although that song was written by Paul Stanley.  What you may not know about that particular song is that Stanley wrote it with Rod Stewart in mind.  But Roddy boy didn't want it.  That worked out well if you ask me 'cause it's perfect for The Catman's voice. 

Anyway, Rock And Roll Over was the fifth overall studio release for Kiss back in 1976.  It was the second album released by the band that year, with the first being Destroyer.  The album was awarded Platinum status by the RIAA. 

This album rocks so much 'cause it's just straight ahead, balls out rock and roll.  If it has a weakness (and it doesn't), that would be that Ace didn't write any of the material.  It would be the next studio album that Ace finally put in a vocal performance.  I love every song, but my absolute favorites would be Take Me, Hard Luck Woman, Mr. Speed and Love 'Em And Leave 'Em.

It's still easy to find.  Check out Best Buy as all of the first six Studio Albums (Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer, Rock And Roll Over and Love Gun) are $4.99 each, and that is the latest remastered versions.

1. I Want You

2. Take Me

3. Calling Dr. Love

4. Ladies Room

5. Baby Driver

6. Love 'Em And Leave 'Em

7. Mr. Speed

8. See You In Your Dreams

9. Hard Luck Woman

10. Makin' Love

Views: 1610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alright, I'm curious here.  It almost seems like I've asked this before, but I can't actually remember.  Jon, have you heard at least some of the Kiss catalog before Unmasked?  That would be Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Alive!, Destroyer, RARO, Love Gun, Alive II or Dyansty.  If so, I take it you didn't like any of it.  Or, did you hear Unmasked and never give anything else a chance. 

And by the way, I'm not asking to try and convert you, that will never happen.  I'm just curious.

Never heard or bought a full album before "Unmasked". Might have heard some songs on the radio or something though. And just for full disclosure (whatever that means), I actually do own 8 studio albums. 

Destroyer, Elder, Creatures of the Night, Lick It Up, Animalize, Revenge, Psycho Circus and Sonic Boom as well as the first Frehley solo album. I also have Animalize on vinyl which I purchased in England when it came out.

This does NOT make me a Kiss fan. 

Frehleys first solo is solid rock and roll!

I really wanted to listen to this today but work was a mess, so I couldn't.

However, I have more stuff to admit: I bought Frehley's Comet's first album and MIGHT still have it on vinyl somewhere and also used to have "Hot In The Shade" on cassette.

Plus I've seen Kiss twice in concert.

So there.

Does any of that make you a Kiss fan?

No.

Yes.

It makes me a fan of self-abuse. 

There is a production glitch on one of the songs. If I recall it is at the first of Dr. Love (but I could be wrong). There is a slight skip at the first of the song. I first heard the skip when I picked up a vinyl version of this (maybe in High School). But that same glitch is on my CD - just not as obvious.

I have the Casablanca press of this CD. But I have every Kiss CD mixed between the orignal, or remastered pressings! :) This is one of the better releases along with Destroyer.

Well, I know you've been waiting for this!

Two things I can remember from this album:

B-b-b-b-b-baby

Cowbell

and I think there was a "hey" somewhere which really made me not dig it.

Not a good album. Sorry Kiss fans. Not. Good. At. All.

First song, ok. The rest, even the one's I've heard before (Calling Dr Love, Hard Luck Woman) just do not hold a candle to ANYTHING on Music From The Elder.

Suck on THAT awhile!

Sorry, the whole album seemed childish, but isn't that who bought all those Kiss albums way back then?

Let the hate begin....

Besides the few tracks that I still enjoy,  I cant think of any argument to counter you childish claim.  I actually think you nailed it...

The 2 albums that book end this one are fantastic though. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos