Classic Rock Bottom

There's a few CDs I have that I haven't or hadn't gotten around to listening to yet. Whether they are too "old" or I end up not really having much to say about them, I'm not doing a full on review.

Instead, I'm just putting in a sentence or two about what I thought of them. I'll probably keep updating this thread as I get around to various albums that have been sitting waiting for me to play them.

Joe Bonamassa - Blues of Desperation - While there were a couple of tracks I wasn't all that enamored with, overall this album was another winning blues solo album from Bonamassa.

Boneyard Dog - Bluesbound Train - Another bluesy rock and roll record, this debut album was pretty much kicking my ass each time I listened to it.

U2 - The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition - Sadly, while I absolutely love the album itself (it is one of my all-time favorites), the anniversary edition isn't much to write home about. Disc 1 is the original album while Disc 2 is a live concert from the Joshua Tree tour. It's not bad, but there's nothing special about it really.

Inglorious - S/T - I was really kind of hyped up about this album but I think the fact I've already sold it off on eBay might give you a hint about my final reaction to the album. Okay, that might be slightly unfair but after listening to the album four times and I couldn't really pick a single memorable song out of it, there's obviously something of a disconnect.

Views: 1576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe Perry - Joe Perry (2005) - Up until I bought this album just yesterday, I've never owned any solo material from the Aerosmith guitarist. This release is a two sided CD. The album audio is on the first side and flip it over and you have a DVD.

The first thing I noticed when track 1 started playing is that Perry's vocals spent a lot of time being swallowed up in the mix. I don't know if this was to hide any deficiencies in his vocal performance or what but it was a little annoying. Thankfully, that improved over the course of the album.

I can't find any fault with the album musically. It's lively, energetic and particularly vibrant. "Push Comes To Shove" was really cool and the somewhat understated instrumental "Twilight" was darn good too. Hell, even the ballad "Ten Years" had me in its grip, especially since Perry's vocal was pretty intriguing.

I may have gotten this release at my friend's record shop on a whim, but I'm definitely going to be playing this album more because it is pretty darn enjoyable.

Cool stuff TR. Like I told you on another thread, I do not have any JP solo.  Maybe I'll come across a disc soon.  If so, I'll grab it and give it a try.

Skid Row - Skid Row (1989) - Say what you want about how the fortunes of this band pretty much went downhill AFTER their 2nd album, but on their self-titled debut release, they really had it all going for them.

Singer Sebastian Bach, a leather lunged powerhouse fueled a hard driving rocking sound from the rest of the band and they managed to capture lightning in a bottle here. The album has three classic tracks in "18 And Life", "I Remember You" and the mega anthem "Youth Gone Wild". Whenever I heard any of the three there is no sense of "Oh Gawd, not again!" I love hearing the songs.

But even more to the point is how the rest of the album is filled with some top notch songs as well. They manage to combine some pretty rocking tracks with a good sense of melody and deliver an album with 11 songs that really captured how things were for metal in 1989. Given that I graduated high school in that year, this was a pretty important release for me back then.

It's a great album for sure.

This one is good.  Probably their best effort, but the second one had some good stuff too.  I Remember You is still one of the best ballads of the late 80's and early 90's.

I picked up the second one when I got this one and plan to give it another spin and do a brief write up on that one as well.

Kiss - Psycho Circus (1998) - Say what you want about this album...and plenty of people have. But for an album that seems to cause Kiss fans to go into fits, there are some decent songs on here. 

Not a lot because with songs like "I Finally Found My Way", there is an abundance of horrific songs as well. 

But I liked the title track, "You Wanted The Best" and "Raise Your Glasses" a lot. 

Still, reading up on this album, it appears that it is barely a real Kiss album and quotes from the various members of the band seem to confirm that the full actual lineup of Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter barely recorded anything from this album as a quartet.

It's not a great album but when they have those anthemic rockers you've come to know, love and expect from Kiss, they did a good job of getting those out to their fans.

I'm okay with this one.  Certainly not great, but miles and miles better than Monster.  You are spot on about I Finally Found My Way.  That is at or very near the top of the Top 10 Worst Kiss songs.

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind (1991) - The second album from Skid Row is just as good as the first album and given how much more aggressive and heavy the sound is, might be even better. I say this after not having heard the album in a long time and getting to spin this newly acquired CD edition a few times over the last week or so.

Apparently there was a clean version of the album with the song "Get The Fuck Out" replaced by a track called "Beggar's Day". I have the "Get The Fuck Out" version but the liner notes have the lyrics for "Beggar's Day".

I pretty much love all the tracks on this album. It took me a bit to warm up to "Psycho Love" and I'm still trying to fully love "Wasted Time" but otherwise I love this album a whole lot. I know that I remember liking the album when it first came out but I can't remember why I didn't keep up with this over the years.

Still, I stopped listening to the band after this album. But two albums that I like are certainly better than none.

This one is definitely heavier.  Slave To The Grind and Monkey Business are heavy as hell.  And the original cassette I had back in the day had GTFO on it and I did love that song.  Then when I converted to CD somewhere along the line I got the one with the substituted song.  I still look for a CD version with GTFO on it, but I haven't found it yet.

I hope you do get that version someday because it is a pretty good song.

Fight - A Small Deadly Space (1995) - I really liked the band's War of Words album so I had a good sense that I would like their 2nd album as well. Turns out that I was right. But what was surprising is just how much I enjoyed it. Filled with some really heavy musicality, the ten song disc (plus a hidden track) was pretty much great throughout. I didn't have any nitpick with any of the songs. The last song, "In A World Of My Own Making", was a slow, drawn out affair but it didn't feel artificial or make itself annoying. Instead it established a menacing atmospheric tone quickly and just grabbed you from start to finish. BTW, that hidden track is called "Psycho Suicide" and it is a foot to the floor gut ripper of a song.

Rob Halford was really great on this album and thought I wasn't surprised that I liked the disc, I was still pretty happy to find that my expectations were exceeded!

Confederate Railroad - Confederate Railroad (1992) - The self-titled debut album from the band came to my attention a LONG time ago because of a job at a convenience store I used to have. The manager there was a woman named Edie. She and her boyfriend were in a covers band called Up All Night. The song "Trashy Women" was in their setlist and I just loved it. They told me where they'd gotten it from and I loved hearing them play it. But I never got the album until a few months ago when I saw it in a bargain bin somewhere.

Anyway, while I know that it is a country album and likely has limited appeal for most of the people on this board, it was a really fun album. For the most part I enjoyed all ten songs on the disc. Besides "Trashy Women", which is both a country and a sort of novelty song, I really liked "She Took It Like A Man", "Jesus And Mama", "Time Off For Bad Behavior" and "Queen Of Memphis".

I had a pretty good time listening to this one and it brought back memories of Edie (who passed away a number of years ago) and the first time I heard "Trashy Women".

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos