Classic Rock Bottom

Since the inaugural version was such a rousing success*, the power that be (there can be only one!) has decided it's time for another music challenge.

The rules are simple:

Starting 5/1/14 (that's May 1st of the year 2014 for those that have problems with numbers), you will have 31 (thirty-one) days to listen to 30 (thirty) albums. No, not just ANY albums, but a specific genre of albums.

Last November's challenge was easy. Five (5) albums each from the 60's (sixties), 70's (seventies), 80's (eighties), 90's (nineties) and 00's (umm....zeroes zeroes?). Simple. Those that completed that challenge were given to opportunity to pick a specific genre for the next challenge, which is THIS challenge. 

So, you're probably asking yourself "What are the categories, or genres, this time?" Well, we don't know yet. We're making you wait and giving you ample time to get prepared. We're like that. 

For those that complete the challenge, you'll be given the opportunity to pick a category for an upcoming challenge, just like those that completed the inaugural challenge. Yep, we're nice like that. 

You can keep a running tally of your albums in this post. The only requirements are the album title, artist and what challenge category it falls into. You can also wait to post until you're done with the challenge. Either way is perfectly fine. We're easy like that. 

All you need to do now is wait. Wait for the categories to appear below. Wait, but breathe. Always remember to breathe.   

MAY CHALLENGE

1) Listen to 5 albums from a group named after a city, state or country (from Rjhog)

COMPLETED #1: Matthew N., Jon, Scott G., Niels, Rjhog, Mike M., Noah M.

2) Listen to 5 disco and/or funk albums, soundtracks included (per Scott G.)

COMPLETED #2: Jon, Matthew N., Rjhog, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M. 

3) Listen to 5 punk and/or alternative rock albums but 2 of the 5 MUST be Punk (so says Mike)

COMPLETED #3: Rjhog, Matthew N., Jon, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M.

4) Listen to 5 NWOBHM albums from the years 1980 and/or 1981(request from Niels)

COMPLETED #4: Niels, Matthew N., Jon, Rjhog, Mike M., Scott G., Noah M.

5) Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died (courtesy Scott B.)**

COMPLETED #5: Jon, Matthew N., Rjhog, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M.

6) Listen to 5 albums featuring a female lead singer

COMPLETED #6: Rjhog, Niels, Matthew N., Jon, Mike M., Scott G., Noah M.

* with the exception of Scott, who tried to ruin the fun 

**for example, you can listen to an AC/DC album but it will need to be an album featuring Bon Scott

Views: 2370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fifth and final album in he catagory 1) Listen to 5 albums from a group named after a city, state or country (from Rjhog):

Chicago - 18

This was the only Chicago-album, I ever bought (except for a Greatest Hits-cd), and I bought it back in 1986. There are 2 songs, that I liked, and still kind of like: "Niagara Falls" and "I Believe". The rest are okay, but I never was a fan. I never missed Cetera on the album. His voice kind of annoy me (at times). 

Fifth and final album in the catagory 2) Listen to 5 disco and/or funk albums, soundtracks included (per Scott G.):

Hot Choclate- Everyone's a winner - Greatest Hits

Again, almost 75 min. of pure Disco/funk!! I remembered another band, that I thought had a few good tunes back in the late-seventies. Actually I had a problem with this last album in this dreadfull catagory: Should it be this album, or Earth, wind And fire's Greatest Hits? I kind of regret now, that I listened to Eric Gadd or The Bee Gee's, because I can see, that there are also some fine tunes on EWAF's Greatest hits-album. But probably also some lousy crap. as on this album: all the good ones, I remember, are pretty good ("You Sexy Thing", "It Started With A Kiss", "So You Win Again" and especially "Every One's a Winner"(nice riff!!)), some of the other's....are not. Some of it was quite boring, but who cares, since I'm done!!!!!!!! But I will return later today, with my last album at all in this "electric Boogaloo". Now I will listen to some PUNK!!!!

And finally the fifth and final album in the final catagory 3) Listen to 5 punk and/or alternative rock albums but 2 of the 5 MUST be Punk (so says Mike):

The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

This is definitely PUNK with capital letters ("London Calling" is NOT!!). I'm NOT a fan of Iggy Pop, but I like this album, well sort off. Again it's nice, that the albums at the time were very short, because half an hour is more than enough. The title-track is probably the best one.

Just as much as Priest are NWOBHM, and "Discovery" is a Disco-album, this is true PUNK!!!

But Gillan is NOT NWOBHM

Enough already.  I'm gonna edit it and listen to something else.

Listen to 5 NWOBHM albums from the years 1980 and/or 1981

1. Legend--Legend (1981)
2. Tygers Of Pan Tang--Spellbound (1981)
3. Diamond Head--Lightning To The Nations (1981)
4. Iron Maiden--Iron Maiden (1980)
5. Def Leppard--On Through The Night (1980)

Question for Niels....

Do you consider Judas Priest NWOBHM?

It's up to Niels, but I don't.

Wiki says so... And so does the Metal Evolution series. Just sayin...

Well....I DON'T! Nuff said! And the reason is because they were putting out music well before the NWOBHM, so they weren't really part of the NW but they were OHM.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111006082507AAglaDs

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/fun_comments.php?fun_id=58&page=&...

I'm pretty sure Niels gave approval a while back for Judas Priest.

Also Judas Priest[8] and Motörhead,[9] while pre-dating the movement by several years, would later become a part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWOBHM

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos