Classic Rock Bottom

I'm going to break the rules a little bit on this week's FLASHBACK, and post a part 2 from the good year 1974, this time with some of the finest progresive rock music ever made:

GENESIS - THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY

1. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
2. Cuckoo Cocoon
3. Back In The N.Y.C.
4. Counting Out Time
5. Carpet Crawlers

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a double concept album recorded and released in 1974 by the British rock band Genesis. It was their sixth studio album and the last album by the group to feature the involvement of lead singer Peter Gabriel.

The album tells the surreal story of a half Puerto Rican juvenile delinquent named Rael living in New York City, who is swept underground to face bizarre creatures and nightmarish dangers in order to rescue his brother John. Several of the story's occurrences and places were derived from Peter Gabriel's dreams, and the protagonist's name is a play on his surname. In an interview Phil Collins remarked, "It's about a 'split personality'. In this context, Rael would believe he is looking for John but is actually looking for a missing part of himself. The individual songs also make satirical allusions to everything from mythology to the sexual revolution to advertising and consumerism.

SUPERTRAMP - CRIME OF THE CENTURY

1. School
2. Bloody Well Right
3. Dreamer
4. Rudy
5. Crime Of The Century

Crime of the Century is the third album by the progressive rock band Supertramp, released in 1974. The album was Supertramp's first to feature its classic lineup and co-producer Ken Scott (who previously worked with David Bowie and The Beatles).

Crime of the Century was Supertramp's first U.S. Top 40 album and was eventually certified Gold in the U.S. in 1977 after the release of Even in the Quietest Moments. The album, accompanied by the hit single Dreamer, also marked the first evidence of success for the band in the United Kingdom; Crime of the Century itself reaching Number One on the album chart there in 1975, and Dreamer number nine on the singles chart the same year.
In 1978, Crime of the Century was ranked 108th in The World Critic Lists, which recognised the 200 greatest albums of all time as voted for by notable rock critics and DJ's. In the 1987 edition of the publication, CBC's Geoff Edwards ranked Crime of the Century the 10th greatest album of all time. A 1998 public poll, aggregating the votes of more than 200,000 music fans, saw Crime of the Century voted among the all-time top 1000 albums, and it was listed in the 2005 book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.
Many of the songs on the album are still staples of the band's shows ("School", "Bloody Well Right", "Rudy", and the title cut). Almost all of the album appears on the band's 1980 live album Paris although the tracks which featured orchestrations on the original Crime of the Century album ("Asylum", "Rudy", and "Crime of the Century") were replaced by string synthesizers or Oberheim synthesizers which were played mainly by John Helliwell with some help from Roger Hodgson.

If you want to listen, then click here:

http://www.podsnack.com/playlists/e2c1dc41bae5b70506bab6ad2a395813

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Out of the two parts to 1974, I definitely think Sweet was the most enjoyable.  I'm not an early Genesis fan.  I don't really like Peter Gabriel, although the song The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is good, and I kinda liked Carpet Crawlers.

I'm also not a big Supertramp fan, although I do like their "hits".  But I did think the first track was very decent.

I may have to check out some more Sweet!

I love Supertramp!  In fact that reminds me to post some album covers of theirs as they deserve to be shown!  As an owner of Crime of the Century I fully endorse you love of this band and sustain yourt choice to post as one of the best of 1974. 

Peter Gabriels version of Genesis however,  I cant get into it.  Someone on the CRR site recommneded a ferw releases of theirs to me, including this one, and I really couldnt listen to it... 

Great post though....

I know your reply is directed to Niels, but I did remember that you (and Jon) are Supertramp fans.   Just sayin'.....

Love them!  I think in my 2011 predicitons I called a reunion...  Not looking that good now... 

I don't think there will be a reunion. I saw a fresh interview with Roger Hodgson on a danish tv-channel, the other day, and he said, that he had believed it would happen at one time, but did'nt think there was a chance now. 

Supertramp--....peachy-keen, great album. 

Genesis--....just never really got into the PG stuff or most off the rest really (except "Abacab". Love the "Abacab".)

You should all 3 give the Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, one more chance. It will grow on you, after 3 or 4 listenings. Especially "The Lamb...". A great double concept-album. Live, they were too weird, at that time.
Thats what Jon said about Rose Tattoo also...
That they were weird, live ?
And I was right...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos