Classic Rock Bottom

A few days early, but here's this week's FLASHBACK:

In 1974, I was'nt really that interested in rock-music, but I think it was around that time, that my TASTE in rock-music was developed. My big sister bought the Sweet-album "Fanny Adams", and she was dissapointed in, there really was'nt any big bubblegum-hit's on the record. It was hard rock!! I really think, that this record has played a big part in, what music I like today, and eventually she gave me the record.

Sparks is not a band, that I know that much about, just that it's two brothers, and one of them has(had?) a Chaplin/hitler-mustache, but the track "This town aint big enough for both of us" is also a song that I remember from way back then, and have allways loved. I finally bought the record a few years back, and since it's from 1974, it fits just fine here:

SWEET "FANNY ADAMS": 

1. Set Me Free

2. Heartbreak Today

3. No You Don't

4. Sweet F.A.

5. Restless

SPARKS "KIMONO MY HOUSE":

1. This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us

2. Amateur Hour

3. Thank God It's Not Christmas

4. Complaints

5. In My Family

You can listen to the music here:

http://www.podsnack.com/playlists/b69c54f4b94aaad0b5319a894a376653

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting...  Never heard of SPARKS, but like that time period that SWEET released music.  I though Sweet FA was from the Desolation Boulevard release.  Maybe its an American release thing...  Will listen soon though...
Yep, Desolation Boulevard was only an american release with some songs from "Fanny Adams" and some non-album singles, just like some of the early "american" Beatles-albums.
Sparks...they were in a movie, they were a band playing at an amusement park. I think it was "Rollercoaster"? 

Loved the Sweet tracks!!!  Set Me Free, No You Dont, and Sweet FA are phenonemal!  Loved every second of all the Sweet tracks.

The Sparks tracks were new to me, and Ive never seen the moive Jon mentioned.  They were, how shall I say it ...  interesting.  Maybe they are an acquired taste.

But as always Niels, you bring such a cool international flare to this site that your posts are really fun and interesting.  Good stuff...

Thank you, Scott

Funny thing about the Sweet list...."Set Me Free" for some reason always makes me think of the Saxon remake and "No You Don't" Pat Benatar's remake. Kinda like the Benatar version a bit better, but the version of "Set Me Free" by Sweet just blws Saxon's away.

I've always wanted to pick up some Sparks, love their album titles ("Angst In My Pants", "Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing" and especially  "Whomp That Sucker") but never have. Maybe I'll break down and do it this year....

Nice list Niels!  

Quote from Scott:

But as always Niels, you bring such a cool international flare to this site that your posts are really fun and interesting.  Good stuff...

...I agree completely with this statement.

As for the flashback, I didn't like The Sparks at all.  Not remotely interesting to me.  However, although I've never really listened to Sweet and I didn't have much faith going in, I really liked what you posted from them.  Set Me Free was my favorite, but they were all good.  I also liked Sweet FA a good bit.  There is a riff in the middle that sounds a lot like Ace Frehley's Parasite riff, which also came out in 1974.  I don't know which came first, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ace lifted a little bit from Sweet.  I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that the members of Kiss were influenced by Sweet.

Nice post my man!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos