Classic Rock Bottom

Before our tragic detour last weekk Niels mentioned that he wasn't into the Prog music thats been coming out in 2015... Because I had been planning on posting 2015 prog tunes I had to make one concession because of that, and so I swapped one song out, a Spocks Beard Track (which was to be "The Centerline") for something else since you said you were tired of that album. Now see listeners, If you listen and ask (or infer...), you will get a response!

I want to spend the last couple of posts of this year reviewing some of the great music that actually did release in 2015. And theres been some very strong releases to pick from. But because we did the early years of Prog the week before last week it was the perfect follow-up to listen to some great progressive treasures from 2015 this week. So that's that, a simple Old Prog -vs- New Prog listening challenge.

I will concede that our exposure to Progressive bands here in the States is far inferior to what happens in European countries. Why? Anybody know? I don't, other than the Amercan music scene is jaded in so many ways... But thats also why were here! So listen, experience, and comment...

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/a1meofas

Steve Hackett
Wolflight

1 - Black Thunder

Despite enjoying only moderate chart success internationally, the album was highly rated by www.ultimateclassicrock.com, which included Wolflight in its shortlist of the Best Classic Albums of 2015 (so far), on July 4, 2015. This album is a journey through contemporary and ancient cultures and the individual struggle for freedom. World music permeates the compositions while Hackett’s lyrics explore the Far East, vampires and domestic abuse, his own childhood in London, ancient Greece, Mexico, America’s Deep South and Martin Luther King, Morocco and Iceland. Primal and orchestral, Hackett’s electric and acoustic guitars are ever present.

The Neal Morse Band
The Grand Experiment

2 - Doomsday Destiny

The Grand Experiment is a Progressive Rock album by Neal Morse and his solo band. The album was composed and recorded over a short period of time, with no preparation work before entering the studio. This is the first time Morse has recorded this way, with no pre-prepared material (and as a completely collaborative effort with his new band), hence the album's title. It was released on February 10, 2015, in three formats: single CD edition, a special edition which includes the album plus a bonus CD and DVD, and a double CD and vinyl edition.

Steven Wilson
Hand. Cannot. Erase.

3 - Home Invasion

In January of 2006, the remains of Joyce Carol Vincent, aged 38, were discovered in her London flat. She died in her apartment in late 2003, surrounded by undelivered Christmas presents. She was described as outgoing, attractive, and ambitious by neighbors, friends, and family, but somehow wasn't missed. This chilling story made headlines in Great Britain, and the mysterious person behind it moved Steven Wilson to create this fictional concept album (small "c"). He doesn't adhere to story's grim details. Instead he writes from the perspective of a living woman who is, due to choice, circumstance, or both, alone and ultimately unknowable. This troubling but deeply moving record is a metaphorical treatise on societal alienation, loneliness, and urban dislocation, offered without pretension. It is aesthetically attractive while being emotionally and intellectually resonant; pop music cannot hope to accomplish more.

Toto
XIV

4 - Great Expectations

Truth be told, early on Toto emphasized this kind of finely honed studio prog, so these intense bursts of instrumental gymnastics aren't out of character, although they are a bit of a surprise when they arrive grouped at the beginning of the album. By the end of Toto XIV, the group has eased back to smoother, melodic territory (the concluding "Great Expectations" is a slow, stately ballad), but the furious first half, containing such plainly evident socio-political protests as "Holy War," "Running Out of Time," "Unknown Soldier," and "21st Century Blues" -- every one of them carrying some kind of reference to new millennial turmoil -- is a clearer indication of where the band's interests lie. Although they're drawing heavily from the galloping art-rock adventure of their pre-"Rosanna" album tracks, they're not living in the past, nor are they denying it: they're accepting all their indulgences, all the intricacies that come with their virtuosity, and making a record that reflects what these veteran rockers have seen and learned in their 40 years in the business.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Best SHT this year. 3 of these albums appear on my top 10. Thank you, my friend, for leaving out that SB-track. I don't HATE the album, but I can't really listen to it anymore. I think the singer annoys me too much. I fear the same thing happen with the new Dream Theater-album in 2016. I agree on your take on american/european Prog, and I guess I'm the only one around here, who's also fan of Anathema and North Atlantic Oscilliation, two european Prog-bands that hopefully release new music in 2016. 

1. I don't have to point out, how important Hacket's "Genesis Revisited II"-album was to me a few years ago. I didn't expect much from this album, when it was released, and I didn't get much either. He should definitely release a "Genesis Revisited III", if someone ask me. 

2. I still can't believe me "luck", to have seen this band live  I can't remember who's singing this song? It could had been the guitarist, who's a multi-talented musician. I hope that Morse (and band) will take a little longer the next time around, to at least write the material. I would love a follow-up to "Testimony II", maybe a different story or whatever. The first 3 songs on this album are awesome, but the rest are just so-so, incl. this one, but damn those guys can play live!!!!

3. It's no secret that this is album of the year imo. I can't really say, if it's better than "The Raven". I think "The Raven" has better songs, but also worse songs, and this album is very good all the way through. Who cares, they are both 10/10 imo. If you're a fan, and don't own the super-deluxe versions of those two albums, you don't know what you're missing!!!! And I also saw Wilson live in 2015!!! What a year !!! Even though, the musicians in Morse's band are outstanding, they are even better in Wilson's band. And since the show was much better, it was one of the best concerts I've seen in many years. Let the whining start, RJhog............!! 

4. And this is the second-best album of 2015. I was very surprised, that Toto could make an album as good as this in 2015. This is my second favorite Toto-album of alltime, only second to Isolation. This is my favorite track on the album, and you know, what I say: A truely great album always have the very best track as the final song. Classic!!!! But Toto is Prog? Not if you ask me.

Toto is more prog than you think, Jon should post Falling In Between whenever he thinks up a new series based on that other series that may or may not be a series....

Best SHT?  YES!!!!  Surprised you liked that Hackett track, thought you didn't care for Wolflight

Umm....how did you get to the conclusion, that I like the Hacket-track??

I was distracted by Adele...

"Black Thunder" was pretty good, but it sure as hell isn't remotely close to "Hello" by Adele.

This song from TNMB band was ok, but it's quickly became background music the two times (for now) I listened to this playlist. It also sure as hell isn't "Hello" by Adele.

Shame about this Stephen Wilson album. It would have made it to #1 on my list of top albums of the year, but hell if Adele didn't knock it off. 

Toto's album just barely made it into my top ten albums of the year, mostly because of this song. Just a cool song, like the metal geetars chiming in to wake you up. Alas, it sure as hell isn't remotely close to "Hello" by Adele.

There's a reason why prog doesn't get respect in the US: ADELE. 

It's worthless even coming up with top ten, top five, top three, top 200, top whatever albums of the year. It all belongs to Adele and her latest masterpiece.

One world under Adele.

The Adele World Order. 

I would rank these songs, but it's worthless. Adele would always win. 

Only people with zero taste in music rank SW's album at the top of their lists. Those that KNOW, rank Adele as number one now and forever.

I'm just going to post Adele's newest album in NMC for the next 12 months. All of you will be believers (not beliebers, since he's an idiot).

Adele's latest will also be the top album of the year in 2016. Just you wait and see.

Seriously, you really like it?  Didn't even hit my radar...

LOOK INTO MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellurrrrrr...Madea's new live album blows Adele away!

Yeah.....and why you would even know anything about Madea is a bit sickening. Not that I had any respect for you before, but there's absolutely nothing remotely resembling respect for you after this post. You, sir, have posted the worst post in the history of internet posting.

Why don't you quit trying to be such a tough guy and rejoin us on Facebook. Funny, your Top 10 didn't mention Adele.

Blanket statement: I'm not really liking prog any more, except for the Rush I've been listening to.  I really don't have any desire to hear any prog in 2016.  That being said, let's take a look:

Hackett - I've never really listened to any of his solo work, at least none that I can remember.  I wasn't expecting much here, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The guitar work was very, very good.  I enjoyed this one.

NMB - I do own this album, but my copy does not have this song on it.  I think there was a deluxe edition issued that had a second disc or either just bonus tracks.  I wish I had bought that one instead of the regular version, which has just five songs.  I'm a definite fan of NMB.  The vocals are very good and the opening song on the disc I have, The Call, is the best prog song of the year for me.  Though nobody here agrees with me, I think of Styx when I listen to this album.  And this tune is very good too.

Wilson - I think it's pretty clear to everyone here what I think of this album.  Don't get me wrong, I see the guy's talent. He and Akerfeldt are at the top of the prog game, but this album, other than the first two songs, just fails to register with me.  I like his previous effort better.

Toto - We're not in Kansas anymore, fo' sho'.  This is a terrific album.  This song definitely is proggy, but the rest of the album doesn't strike me as prog.  It does strike me as very good though.  Joseph Williams is the MVP on the album for me, though everyone shines.  I love the riff on this after the opening.  And the way they come back to that riff a couple of times throughout the song is way cool.  

So, see, even though I no longer have an interest in prog, you got me with three of these four.  You continue to do your job well brother.  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos