Classic Rock Bottom

This being the 100th L/F post, I was trying to think of something special to do since this is ground for a celebration. Alas, I couldn't think of anything special so here it is, just another post, just another album.

There is kind of a theme starting with this album, and that's album's from the 70's. So for the next few weeks, or until I get bored,  I'm posting stuff from the 70's. But then again, it could be another theme, something like "Hey, you've heard of this artist/group, but have you HEARD this album by them/him/her?"

Yeah, something like that.

So here we go, album from the 70's and you know of them, but have you heard THIS? type of post thing.

"Beauty On A Back Street" came out in 1977, but unlike their preceding album this one was more rock-oriented but still with their trademarked blue-eyed soul. Also unlike their previous two albums, this album didn't spawn any hits. 

What I've always like about Hall & Oates is that they weren't afraid to take chances (check out "War Babies" from '74) and they were always much more than their hits. They weren't afraid to have the hits as well as more experimental music, quite often on the same album. 

This album proves this with some of their trademark soul as well as some outright heavy rockers. This album as well as the followup, "Along The Red Ledge" are two of my favorite H&O albums. So sit back, take a listen and stop thinking of H&O as wimps!

Beauty On A Back Street

1. Don't Change

2. Why Do Lovers Break Each Other's Heart?

3. You Must Be Good For Something

4. The Emptyness

5. Bad Habits And Infections

6. Bigger Than Both Of Us

7. Love Hurts (Love Heals)

8. Winged Bull

9. The Girl Who Used To Be

Availability: Nice remaster from Friday music will set you back around $13.

Views: 519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man, I'm looking forward to this.  Would love to hear Along The Red Ledge some time as well....hint.

Nice pic.  I feel like gettin' wet.

It's my MOTHER, dammit!

Never seen aluminum foil look so darn good in my life!!!

I recently did a fairly large Hall and Oates purchase of albums I have on vinyl and one that Ive never owned until now.  This, unfortunately, never hit my purchase radar.  I also love Along the Red Ledge, but didn't pick it up because I wasn't confident that I'd get a remastered edition.  Sad!

I too really like a lot of the styles H&O record, you mentioned their 70's output, but even they're newer stuff is really strong (e.g. Marigold Sky)...

Interesting that this album contains a tune titled "Bigger Than Both of Us" one year after they release an album of the same title.  Wonder what the back story of this is?  Anyone?  Anyway, that's my favorite track on here, also loved Winged Bull, really experimental for them.  Those were the two stand outs for sure, but the rest is spot on great tunes!  This is on my wish list with a bullet!

Nice work Jon!  You keep posting albums like this and were all gonna go broke!

I'm enjoying this.

1. Very nice opener.  Quite a rocker for H&O.  I really like the sharp geetar work, just wish it was longer.  It's gonna be hard to top this track.

2. This has that old-time soul feel to it.  I like it.  This is what you would expect from these two.

3. This sounds like a Cheap Trick song to me.   Not bad at all.

4.  This has Oates singing, right?  You don't hear too many of those.  He's very capable, but Hall is the overall better of the duo.  Another nice geetar solo.  I sure would like to hear one of these stretch out a bit.

5. Back to Hall.  This is another somewhat heavier song.  I'm not crazy about this one.

6. This one is really typical of the band.  It's just okay to me, I can take it or leave it.  It almost has a "She's Gone" vibe, but not nearly as good as that song.

Something has happened to the player and it's not working at the moment.  I'll check back in on the rest later.  Nice album.  It augments the feeling I have of wanting to increase my Hall & Oates collection.

Just checked and the player is working fine. Musta been one of those gremlins.

This is the Hall & Oates I like! I really, like their early sound. I was pleasantly surprised by the heaviness, of some of the songs, but the sounded good! The first 4 songs were great, then it took a little dip with 5, but the rest was solid. I really, liked Winged Bull! I would definitely add this to my playlist, Good Stuff!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos