Classic Rock Bottom

Hey, can lobsterman be considered a mascot? If so, I thing he should be in the running for best mascot, especially because of them shoes!

On we go, this time to 1978 and the self-titled debut from Nantucket, a band out of North Carolina. Forgive me for being dumb on geography, but I always thought Nantucket was in New England? Yes? Then why are they called Nantucket?

This band was introduced to all those who used to frequent another site (that shall not be named) and I got curious and picked up a couple of their albums. That's my story. 

What's really cool is that this album SOUND LIKE IT CAME FROM THE 70's! Imagine that. A 70's album sounding like it came from the 70's. It's hard rock, but tell me there ain't no disco floating around in some of these songs. 

Four more albums followed this with their second having the classic title "Your Face Or Mine" (and it's a really good album). After that, they were no more.

Nantucket

1. Heartbreaker

2. Never Gonna Take Your Lies

3. Real Romance

4. She's No Good

5. Born In A Honky Tonk

6. It's Gettin' Harder

7. Girl You Have A Good Thing

8. Spring Fever

9. Quite Like You

10. What's The Matter With Loving You

Availability:OOP with a $40+ asking price. I've got me some gold here!

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whoever this brunette is you've found I hope her portfolio is large because she is smokin' hot!

Didn't this band also get into poetry?

Yes, there is a poem and I believe it goes something like this:

"There once was a man from Nantucket"
(deleted)
(deleted)
(deleted)
(deleted)

Interesting ...  Its got a late seventies vibe for sure, something in the spirit of Starz and the production reminds me of Louisiana Le Roux's very first album.  Not such a bad thing!

Looks like they have quite the Discography and a new album titled"You Need a Ride to Raleigh" - WTF?  ...  anyway, check this out...

http://www.nantucketband.com/albums.html

They're even playing a gig very close to me on the 2nd of September at some venue that's yet to be determined - I'm gonna check back on this one because it would be a cool show to go see after listening to this.

The music isn't too shabby!  I can see why they didn't break big but a great local band who can make a nice chunk of change playing locally.

Nice pick Jon, even if they really aren't the men from Nantucket!

7 songs on that new album. Seems kinda weak. Scroll to the bottom and see what's pictured there. Classic!

Ya I seen those 8 tracks pics, they were awesome!

This was a pretty good listen.  I'm really into this mid 70's to early 80's sound right now.  Here's a couple things I noticed about this offering:

---The vocal harmonies are very nice.

---I got a strong Little River Band vibe at the intro to track one.

---The guitar and bass interplay on Real Romance were awesome.  I mean really good.

---This seems to have many different influences, including Yes (some of the vocals, not the music style), Little River Band and so forth.  Even a bit of funk with the horns and such.

Nice post Jon.  I probably won't intentionally search it out, but if I see it on vinyl for less than a buck I'll know to pick it up now.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos