Classic Rock Bottom

Didn't I post a BOC album 3 months ago?

And, if I did, why am I posting another?

1) In celebration of their boxset coming out on 11/6

2) It's Halloween time and it's a scary cover?

3) Because it was 10 years between albums

As you can see, I have some extremely valid reasons why I'm posting another BOC album. 

This album kinda snuck up on me. It was 1998 and I was relatively new to the internet thing. I had no idea they had a new album out, and discovered this by, yep, going to Best Buy and checking out their stash of albums. Yep again, this is getting old but those were the days and I'll keep repeating it ad nauseum.

I picked this up on cassette and when I heard that first track, I was sucked in. It's HEAVY. Probably the heaviest song they've ever did. And the rest of the album? Fantastic. So fantastic this did not leave the tape deck in the car for many, many weeks.

To this day I still enjoy this whole album. Hell, I'm even listening to it now it's so good. And since it's so good, you need to listen to it as well.

So......

WAS IT WORTH IT?

Heaven Forbid

1. See You in Black
2. Harvest Moon
3. Power Underneath Despair
4. X-Ray Eyes
5. Hammer Back
6. Damaged
7. Cold Gray Light of Dawn
8. Real World
9. Live for Me
10. Still Burnin'
11. In Thee

Availability: $6+

And for those that find the album cover above too frightening:

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I picked at this over the weekend and there is a lot to like about this, like the first 3 tracks are real solid, and as you mentioned the opener is very heavy in a cool way.  But then the album becomes a hit or miss listen..

Is it worth it?  Yes, but only if your a BOC fan to begin with.

Now onto that album cover...  Who approved such a drawing?  Could've been so much better...

Jon, you are probably right.  That first song is dang heavy.  I can't say it's their heaviest ever 'cause I don't know enough of their material, but it's heavy.  And Scott's right, the first 3 tunes are pretty good.  As a matter of fact, the best song to me was Harvest Moon.

The last song was a bit sappy and not too good.  But everything else was just fine. The best songs to me were:

Harvest Moon

Power Underneath Despair

Hammer Back

Live For Me

Still Burnin'

Speaking of Still Burnin', is that a throwback to Burnin' For You?

I'd say it's worth it.  This isn't bad at all.  Another nice post from Jon Boy.

In Thee? That's originally from Mirrors. So was it sappy then?

Maybe I should have said sucky?

Hey!

Never heard this before...or even heard OF it. But I'm enjoying the first listen through. Will definitely be back to listen to this some more.

Buck Dharma rips!! And he is an under-rated guitarist. The production on this record is top notch. Clear and clean. Even sounds good on my little computer speakers.

This is good, Jon! This may jus replace "Mirrors" as my favorite studio BOC.

Wow. That's saying something.

LIstening to this again. It's good. "Damaged" is just awesome. Nobody else mentioned it, but it is freakin' awesome. And the opener is great, too.

"Still Burnin' " rocks hard. And did I mention how good Buck Dharma is? He can play a hundred notes a second (give or take a few), but still make it sound clean, and played with feeling.

"Hammer Back" is pretty good. "Cold Gray Light Of Dawn" is a mid-tempo song, and is very good. Love the accoustic guitar mixed in with electric on "Real World". Great vocals on this tune, as well.

This has been added to my "must get" list.

See why this didn't leave my tape deck for a long, long time?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos