Classic Rock Bottom

I think some folks here like prog, right? 

Ok then. From 1987 I give you the debut, self-titled album from Esquire featuring Nikki Squire on vocals. Who is Nikki Squire? Why she's the ex-wife of Chris Squire. Who is Chris Squire? Go. Just leave. 

Think Yes from the 80's and you'll get the feel of this album. Nikki even sounds like Jon Anderson at some points and also Annie Haslam from Renaissance.

Pat Thrall (Pat Travers) supplies some of the geetar work, Alan White (Yes) contributes some drumming with Chris Squire providing background vocals. If you read the biography on this band, there are a lot of ties to Yes from band members to one of the songs mixed by an ex-member of Yes.

This album disappeared soon after being released and their next album came a whopping 10 years. It's shame really since this isn't a bad album at all.

Esquire

1. To The Rescue
2. Sunshine (alternate mix)
3. Knock Twice For Heaven
4. Up Down Turnaround
5. Blossomtime
6. Hourglass
7. Moving Together
8. Silent Future
9. Special Greetings
10. What You've Been Saying
11. Sunshine (original mix)

Availability: OOP but you can get a copy for the measly price of around $5. Or you can be a big spender and get a copy for around $50.

Views: 384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not a fan of Yes, so maybe strike one?  Anyway, she does sound a lot like Jon Anderson, from what I know of him.  I actually liked the first two songs.  You kept my attention until track number three, where it all went off the rails.  I didn't get it back until the final track, which was pretty good.  Probably 'cause it's just a different mix of track two.  

Now I can say I've heard Esquire.

Without recalling her name exactly, I think that picture is of Lori Singer (?) of Footloose fame who at the time was on the minds of all High School guys my age... 

Now onto ESquire...  I'm gonna echo RJ mostly.  I liked the first track, sounded very much like a Jon Anderson vocal, but the music just doesn't stand out and the vocal cant make up for any lack therein...  There are nice breaks in the music, a lot well played bass lines and catchy keyboard/synth riffs - Blossomtime comes to mind, kind of liked that track.  But alas, it doesn't hold up and the music starts to make me lose interest. 

Interesting pick Jon!

Just can't get into this too much. Like RJHog, I was never really a Yes fan. But still, glad to hear this.

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again (ya'll get sick of my ramblin, DONTCHA???)...I admire how some of you guys have truly diversified tastes. Mine has certainly become more diversified over the years, but not like some of you guys.

But I do appreciate how much good music I've come to know over the last few years. Music I never would have heard without Jon, RJHog, etc. posting all this. You two guys, along with Scott, certainly have very diverse tastes, and that is very cool. But can we please...PLEASE???...just ban music that is so "keyboardy"???

JUST KIDDING!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos