Classic Rock Bottom

It's fun finding an album that you really like while a majority of the band's fans mostly despise that same album. 

To be honest, I was never a big fan of Helloween. I had their first album, listened to it once and that was it for me. Then, a few years ago I bought "Treasure Chest" and double greatest hits album. Still couldn't get into their early stuff, but there was a song on the second disc, "Windmills", that was a total departure from what I thought Helloween was all about.

Then Borders started their going out of business sale and I picked up the 2007 release, "Gambling With The Devil" and kinda liked it. The mini Helloween kick started and I decided to pick up albums with goofy titles like "Rabbit Don't Come Easy" and "Pink Bubbles Go Ape" and liked those as well.

This was one of the albums I wanted mostly due to the total hate. How bad could this album actually be? Are we talking Kiss bad? Adam Lambert bad? I just had to know. 

Luckily for me, I found this album at a local FYE plus it was the Deeeluxe version. i was literally drooling, just waiting for my chance to hear this magnificent opus. 

Mostly absent is the power metal from previous albums. What we have is, well, all over the friggin' board. Metal, ballads, funky stuff, horns, 80's keyboards, an orchestra and, um, more? maybe it's just me, but I never got bored with this album in the slightest.    

Guess it was too much of a departure for some Helloween fans or maybe I'm wrong and this album really sucks, but I don't think that's the case. I think they're wrong because I'm never right wrong.

So sit back and listen to what I firmly believe is a misunderstood album, 1994's "Chameleon" (and pay special attention to "Revolution Now", see if you can spot the oldie but goodie they toss in). 

NOTE: Due to some questionable language, you might not want this playing at a high volume in case those that are easily offended are lurking close by.

Chameleon

1. First Time
2. When The Sinner
3. I Don't Wanna Cry No More
4. Crazy Cat
5. Giants
6. Windmill
7. Revolution Now
8. In The Night
9. Music
10. Step Out Of Hell
11. I Believe
12. Longing

Availability: The deeluxe version is running around $15 unless your local FYE has it for much, much cheaper.     

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hahaha...  Didn't even see them, I usually hit play and go back to the comment tab and the close it all out when the documented last track finishes.

Rock and Roll all day!!!  No get me outta here, I cant take anymore!

The first bonus track only played for  a short time then cut out, and the second one was unremarkable, so I'm not sure what I was listening for.

You have to listen to the first part for the second part to make sense

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos