Classic Rock Bottom

When you think of the word "faith" what other word comes to mind?

If you're like me, the first word that pops into your mind is "regeneration" and since that's a synonym of "faith", I'm sticking to my word by featuring what is probably the greatest covers album of all time, "Regeneration: Volume I & II" from the current AND BESTEST EVER version of Styx. 

Luckily for you, Rjhog has posted what might possibly be the greatest Styx album ever from the current, BESTEST EVER version of Styx. I am truly amazed how lucky you are to be able to listen to both of these magnificent albums. The word "opus" comes to mind, so just multiply that one opus by two (or more) and that's the magnificence you will hear.

When a band decides to re-record some of their old songs, the results are mostly lacking. However, when the 100% BESTEST EVER version of a band decides to re-record some of their old songs, you know that you're in for a special treat. You know that these versions are the best versions ever and these are the versions that will never be equaled or surpassed since this is the DEFINITIVE VERSION OF THE BAND.      

In the very near future, you'll be sitting in your rocking chair with your great-grandchildren listening raptly to your every word as you tell them about a band. A band that was halfway decent that suddenly became much, much better with the BESTEST LINEUP EVER and how this new lineup took a few halfway decent songs and made them much, much better. They'll thank you for that.

Rengeneration: Volume I & II

1. The Grand Illusion
2. Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
3. Lorelei
4. Sing For The Day
5. Crystal Ball
6. Come Sail Away
7. Blue Collar Man
8. Miss America
9. Renegade
10. Queen Of Spades
11. Boat On The River
12. Too Much Time On My Hands
13. Snowblind

NOTE: Three songs have been left off. The first is a new song from THE TRUE Styx and the other two are Damn Yankee covers. Didn't think you needed those, just because.

Availability: It's a collector's item and prices are very high. Would you expect a cheap price for an album from the GREATEST INCARNATION OF STYX, EVER? C'mon!

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going on a Foo Fighters, GooGoo Dolls, Firehouse rampage

Cool.  FooGooHouse.

It's all good, as long as he doesn't go on an Eloy rampage. PLEASE, no Eloy!

Why put two Damn Yankees tunes on a disc of Styx re-records?  Bad management and poor decision making, this would be like Journey re-records with a couple of Bad English tunes on them.  Stupid!

How does one do this - "listening raptly"  ?

and/or

I will say this about this version of Styx...  Ricky Phillips is a fine a bass player and fine replacement for Panazzo.  His credentials are strong.  And his work on The Baby's release of "Union Jacks" is stellar.

1. The Grand Illusion - A fine composition written by Dennis DeYoung.  It must pain the band to write these royalty checks.  I don't care for the liberty's taken in the drumming and its weak vocally.

2. Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) - You can really tell that attention to detail is missing in some of the production even though its played virtually note for note (except for the drumming liberties added), something is missing in the final mix.  Its not as robust and textured as the original.  Shaw's voice hasn't aged at all!

3. Lorelei - So JY takes the lead vocal on this Dennis DeYoung written track.  I think in some way the band is acknowledging that his replacement was inadequate and couldn't handle it.  More drum fills that feel out of place, whats up with that!

4. Sing For The Day - A fine little song and another written solely by Shaw.  I tend to think they wanted to limit the DeYoung written tunes, maybe it's royalty thing, maybe it spite!  Maybe DeYoung's replacement has some sort of hypnosis or something to hang over the band, you know, black mail!

5. Crystal Ball - One of my faves! At least the original is.  Again, were sorely missing the production detail.  Some of these are sounding rushed.  

6. Come Sail Away - Another Dennid DeYoung written Masterpiece.  This will come as a shock to no one...  Its vocally annoying!  To caaahhhhhrrrrrrreeeeeee on....  UGH!  The original clocks in at 6:04 and they added the extended geetar work at the end, needlessly I might add.

7. Blue Collar Man - Probably the best one yet!  Not too bad, although the backing vocals are missing something, or someone!  The original geetar work is much stronger than what was messed with here also...

8. Miss America - Easily the best tune he's ever written!  A rock and roll masterpiece!

9. Renegade - eh...

10. Queen Of Spades - You know, Dennis DeYoung and JY wrote some cool stuff together, their back catalog is riddled with this collaborations tunes and they all rock!  Wouldn't it be great if they'd sit down and knock out some new ones?  I think so too.  As far as the rerecord goes, the vocal work is weak, weak, weak (did I say weak?).  And they messed with the riff, its not as strong as the original.  Sounds like they played it on one string, buts it not right!

11. Boat On The River - Not bad!  I liked this song ...  Same production and backing vocal issues that plague all the rest are here as well.

12. Too Much Time On My Hands - See #11

13. Snowblind - Another DeYoung/JY collaboration and another great rock and roll tune!  Original is way better though

So I don't get why so many drum fill changes were allowed, I mean, Suchermans a talented drummer no doubt, but his credentials include work with Michael Bolton so clearly decision making is an issue - stick to the script!  And the missing production values that Dennis DeYoung could have brought to the table are missing, and that makes this a complete and utter waste of time...  that and that one guy who shal go unnamed...

My contractual obligation has been fulfilled!!!

Look, seriously, I don't think these are re-records.  They sound so much like the real Styx that I think they are alternate takes from the 70's and 80's.

Just kiddin'.

I really wanted to hear the tracks you left off.  But that's okay.  The thing that sticks out to me the most is how much the backing vocals suffer with Gowan.  And quite frankly, he destroys one of the greatest songs in the Styx library in Lorelei.  

By "destroys", you obviously mean "kills it with awesomeness"! By "suffer" you mean that all of us had to suffer listening to the old, bad Styx versions of these now better songs.

Totally with you on that!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos