Classic Rock Bottom

For some reason, I had a problem figuring out what to post this week. Don't know if it was due to poster's block and there are albums I said I would post, but it just didn't seem to be the right time to post those and while mentally going thru my library, there was really nothing I wanted to post.

One thing that was definite was that it wouldn't be an album from a band that started with the letter "G". Even though some people are contractually obligated to listen to every Album Of The Week and Lost/Forgotten Album Of The Week, one person has still not listened to an album posted in September of 2013 as well as an album posted a couple weeks ago. Both featured artists starting with the letter "G" so that must have something to do with it.

Last year I posted some tracks from Threshold's latest release in NMC. This week I'm posting a full album from Threshold, 2002's "Critical Mass". This was the album I finally decided was THE album to post this week, plus I kind of gave a preview of it in the May Music Challenge post.

Threshold has been around since the early 90's so comparisons to Dream Theater could be made. However, there is a big difference between Dream Theater and Threshold (at least to me): even though I like Dream Theater, after listening to one of their albums, I basically forget what I just heard. That makes me think that maybe I really don't like Dream Theater.

With Threshold (again, at least to me), I do remember the songs after listening and go back and listen to them again. When I'm done listening, I still have some songs stuck in my head. Both bands are technically proficient, but sometimes Dream Theater goes a bit overboard so some of their music doesn't have an immediate impact. With Threshold, there is an immediate impact. Even if I have it playing as "background music", there is always something that makes me sit up and take notice. 

Well, that's the end of my thoughts. None of them taken from wikipedia (imagine that!). now it's up to you to listen. 

Critical Mass 

1. Phenomenon
2. Choices
3. Falling Away
4. Fragmentation
5. Echoes Of Life
6. Round And Round
7. Avalon
8. Critical Mass (Part 1-3)

Availability: The limited edition starts at around $8 used and $13 new. There a couple edition out there, some with bonus tracks, some without.  

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope that's directed toward another contractually obligated Bottom Feeder and not myself.

Yep, you're all good.

I will not respond back with a snappy answer to a silly question.

It's just not worth my valuable time and energy.

Well, let's see.  You are correct, Threshold is reminiscent of Dream Theater.  The style of music is very similar.  Even the fact that they can let an album get bogged down with slow songs.  Don't get me wrong, I love slow songs.  But two and three and even four ballads in a row are too many.  Even if it's Journey (see Trial By Fire).

That being said, I enjoyed this.  I don't think I like them any better than Dream Theater.  The biggest difference to me are the vocals.  I actually like James LaBrie's vocals, unlike another Bottom Feeder from Denmark (in the interest of protecting the innocent, no names will be mentioned).

Now, this was a nice post.

In the grand scheme of things, I liked it.

Everything sounds great.

Leave it to Jon to bring these unknown bands to our attention.

Safe to say, this was a cool post (oops, kinda already said that).

I think you've hit on something quite nice here... again!  I really like this and I even recall thinking the same about their newer stuff...  Why I didn't follow up is beyond me.  I will need to fix that soon. Thanks for the reminder...

Usually I type as I listen, but I'm well into track three and have enjoyed this very much!  Musically as talented as Dream Theater, but this isn't as Dream Theater like as I thought it would be reading the comments below - at least in my opinion...  This has bit more melodicness to it than recent DT release do.  Maybe if you wanted to compare them to the Images and Words - Scene From a Memory era, then you may be onto something...  One last DT comment, vocalists don't compare at all, LaBrie is much better.  This guy has a Klaus Meine quality to his upper register (but that may be just me) ...  Not a bad thing.

Have to agree with RJ, it does go the mellow route at times, but I didn't get lost listening to it.  Nice work.  I'm noting this as one of the best LAOTW in 2014 so far...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos