Classic Rock Bottom

Yup, still wiki-free!

Yet some are still drawn to Wikipedia, one such person claiming that they visited that site in order to find out who the produced a specific album. Know what I did? I looked at the booklet included with this week's featured album and imagine my "surprise" when I found that information without having to resort to Wikipedia. I even think that some albums have that information on the back of the CD case.

Obviously Wikipedia is like a drug to some. They claim they won't rely on it except for a little tidbit of information. Of course that leads to relying on it for even more information and then it's full-blown trust in Wikipedia. Some people just refuse to learn, I guess. 

This week's album is 3:47 EST (aka Klaatu) from Klaatu (aka the Beatles*) released in 1976. For more on this album, let's grab some hand-picked information from allmusic.com:

"3:47 EST surfaces as an entertaining debut album made up of light, harmonic pop songs which harbor a little bit of a progressive rock feel in a few spots. Klaatu's "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" became a Top 40 hit for the Carpenters in 1977, but the other tracks from the band's debut are just as congenial if not more compelling. Composed of poppy horn work and inventive instrumentation, tracks like "California Jam" and the quaint- sounding "Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby" (which sounds like an early Genesis title) offer up a unique blend of bright, glistening strings and placid vocals. The lengthy and progressively cosmic "Little Neutrino" is an entertaining instrumental stew that beautifully wanders about in almost free-formed style. While 3:47 EST is Klaatu's strongest release from nearly every aspect, their second album, entitled Hope, contains less of a pop-infused recipe but has greater progressive depth and leans toward more of an experimental sound, especially where the instruments are concerned."

So, what about the actual group?

*"In August of 1976, the self-titled debut album by an unknown group called Klaatu was released on Capitol Records to little notice. The following February Steve Smith, a writer for the Providence Journal in Rhode Island, wrote an article titled "Could Klaatu Be the Beatles? Mystery Is a Magical Mystery Tour." The article began the rumor that Klaatu was "more than likely either in part or in whole the Beatles." These conjectures, fueled by a series of articles in trade magazines like Billboard created a huge amount of hype and Capitol did nothing to deny or confirm the rumors. Throughout 1977, record sales soared and radio stations ran "Is Klaatu the Beatles?" promotions. Reportedly, some of the "clues" as to whether or not Klaatu were the Beatles included backward messages, Morse code, references to the group's identities in the song lyrics, and the word "Beatles" hidden in various places on the record jacket. After several months of conjecture, the group's identity was revealed at the end of year -- it wasn't the Beatles after all, it was Terry Draper (songwriter, vocalist, drummer), John Woloschuck, and Dee Long. Immediately, their record sales declined, and due to a backlash generated by the Beatles hoax their four subsequent albums failed to sell. The group broke up in 1981."**

And there you have it!

3:47 EST

1. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
2. California Jam
3. Anus Of Uranus
4. Sub-Rosa Subway
5. True Life Hero
6. Doctor Marvello
7. Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
8. Little Neutrino

Availability: The BGO remaster which also includes Klaatu's second album, can be had for around $15. Or you can get this album by itself for around $10, but the sound quality is not the greatest from what I've read (not on Wikipedia).

**from allmusic.com

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whoever that guy is, I think you should cut him a break. Maybe he's a closet downloader....

Just trying to help. Call it an intervention. 

This is actually pretty good, not at all what I was expecting, but I liked it!

First off, I do hear elements of The Beatles in these tunes.  But it in now way sounds like The Beatles vocally.  

The first track is a snooze-fest.

Then it picks up a bit.  There are many genres going on here I think.  

Overall, it's not difficult to listen to, but in the same breath, it's not something that I would search out.  I've never heard of it before this post, and I don't think I've really missed anything.

I remember the big "hey look, it's the Beatles trying to pass themselves off as another group" thing about a year or two after this was released. First time I heard it was on a record store stereo one day while browsing. Wasn't really impressed then, still not all that impressed now. Beatle-esque in parts, but I don't see what the hype was all about. Kind of "meh". Not only that, even if it were a 5-star album, it would automatically be deducted two stars for having a song entitled "Anus Of Uranus" on it. Really?

Well, it's no worse than "Public Enema Number One".......

While clearing up some space, noticed that someone has not filled their contractual obligation. Why is that?

I think you removed my comments...  I clearly remember listening.  I replied something to the effect...

blah blah blah Beatles, blah blah blah eh!  blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah  ANUS!!  blah blah blah blah blah blah...

I see......

I'm having Deja-Vu.  I know that I listened, but cant think of why I didn't comment, or did I comment and ning lost it?  Yup that's it!  The site messed up...

This is like double deja0vu because the first track is familiar but I do like the Beatle make over they give it.  Even the production is beatles-esque.  But I do agree wit RJ - it is rather cerebral...

California Jam is no Jam at all. The next song, which will go unnamed, had geeeeetar moments, but not much else.  Sub Rosa Subway made for decent background noise, but then when I started paying attention again it wasn't good, much like True Life Hero.

That last 3 tracks were, how you say....  ummm ... not good?  I don't mind experimental and I don't mind copying styles, but these guys did neither very well.  It harkens me back to a quote in a old REO song that I call upon from time to time...

"Some songs have no meaning, and some songs try too hard, try to say it all, and end up saying nothing"

Yup that's this band...

The might be why the first track is familiar:

Now I have more free space to bring you more wonderful music!!!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos