Classic Rock Bottom

Forget about the spelling error on the cover. I have no cue where that came from since my album doesn't have that error. Where was quality control? Did they have the day off? WIll this bug you now since I brought it up?

NOTE: 100% collusion free, unlike others! All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted.  Don't Scott this album (which he has done yet again).

This week's pick is "......as midnight approaches" the 1988(?) release from White Lightning. I'm guessing at the release date because there's really no answer I could find from my limited research.

By clicking here, you can read a nice biography of the band. It's easier then transcribing the biography from the CD booklet. Trust me on this.

Of course this little writeup wouldn't be complete without a review from allmusic.com:

"The 1980s were a puzzling decade for musicians who'd left a foot firmly planted in the previous decade, and weren't quite sure what to do with the new sonics then racing in. Ex-Iron Pig guitarist Simon Pengilly and bassist Gerald Goff certainly found themselves in that predicament when they formed White Lightning in 1984; should there be rock? Metal? Pop? New wave? Or perhaps a combination of all four? They chose the latter and the resultant As Midnight Approaches is completely of its era -- glossy metal with rough riffs and soaring vocals that are typical of the rise of mid-decade glam metal. From the heavy "Lesson One" to the ballad "London Nightlife," the band served up everything they could lay their hands on. And it works well, too. A more consistent release schedule could have really made a difference. In the event it would be 1990 before they followed it up, as the band juggled its membership (most notably replacing Pengilly with John Storey), and their sophomore set emerges a straight-ahead hard-rocking set, wisely leaving behind the tat of the last decade for the glitter glam of the early-'90s rockers, it too works. Mostly. "Ticking" and "Under My Skin" are solidly excellent, but there are also songs (like "Voodoo") that fall sorely by the wayside. Still, this double reissue of both albums is augmented by a hefty selection of bonus tracks and demos -- a worthwhile purchase for the White Lightning connoisseur."

Personally, it takes a little while for the album to pick up, track 2 just isn't that good. Maybe you'll think differently. I just provide a service. 

...as midnight approaches

1. Lesson One
2. Danger Man
3. Blue horizon
4. Hypocrite
5. London Nightlife
6. Right Between The Eyes
7. This Poison Fountain
8. Losing Streak
9. Frightened Children

BONUS TRACKS
10. This Poison Fountain
11. Hypocrite

Availability: As seen by the picture at the top, you can get this album as well as the followup (which was never released until now) along with a bunch of bonus tracks for around $15.

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uh, as you rudely suggested to me, why don't you just check the CD case for the release date?

Uhh, because it's not really on there. So I made a quite brilliant guesstimate which is most probably right. Don't play my games, you will lose.  

You must have a burned copy.

Nope, legitimate copy from Angel Air. I don't do burned copies. How dare you.

Funny thing, is if you read the booklet there are tons of dates listed on the back page, so it is hard to find. You would know if you had the album, which you don't, so shut up.

You had somebody named Angel burn you a copy?

Don't make me reach thru the internet and punch you.

http://www.angelair.co.uk/

I was gonna say something else about you having a burned copy, but I'm tired now.

Still trying to figure out where that came from.

Paridise...  with this kind of quality control I cant wait to hear this one

I don't get it. My copy is spelled correctly, have no idea why sites are showing the misspelling.

Must be the shitty sites you are using.  You should try Wikipedia.

I should also try crack, yet I won't.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos