Classic Rock Bottom

If you don't have the debut album from Fastway, leave now. Come back when you've bought and listened to that album. If you don't want to do that, don't even bother coming back.

Now, that leaves us with those that have heard the first album. There might also be some that have the first album as well as the second album, "All Fired Up". Some of those people might not like the second album, maybe they listened to it once and didn't like it. Maybe they listened to it a couple times and still don't like it. Maybe they do like it. Maybe they listened to it when it first came out, didn't like it then, listened to it recently and liked it. Either way, all those people can stay. 

With that out of the way, it's time for this week's L/F album pick, "Waiting For The Roar", released in 1986. This is the third Fastway album for those keeping count.

(NOTE: 100% collusion free! Notice that I didn't take liberties and claim this is the second Fastway album, or even the fourth. All facts are from jonsmindopedia, unless otherwise noted.) 

For those who forget the history of Fastway, here's some reading material courtesy of allmusic.com:

"One of the most promising '80s supergroups that never was, England's Fastway was never quite able to come to grips with their sonic identity, and despite a promising start, in the end their career was an almost absolute flameout.

Following his acrimonious departure from metal legend Motörhead, guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clarke wasted no time planning his next move with then-recently ousted UFO bassist Pete Way. With veteran drummer Jerry Shirley (ex-Humble Pie) and promising Irish newcomer vocalist Dave King rounding out their lineup, the resulting Fastway was awarded instant supergroup status, even though the mercurial Way decided to quit before the release of their eponymous 1983 debut (going on to form the ill-fated Waysted). As for Fastway, perhaps knowing he would never be able to match the intensity (and distortion) of his previous group, Clarke chose instead to seek a more mainstream hard rock direction with his new band, and indeed the album was very well-received in the U.S., climbing into the Top 40. Encouraged, they quickly returned to the studio with new bassist Charlie McKracken to record 1984's All Fired Up. The album still made it into the American Top 60 despite waning interest from the CBS label and continued nonplussed indifference back in the U.K. and Europe. Looking for a change after losing their rhythm section (replaced by bassist Paul Reid and drummer Alan Connor), Fastway tried to hop the pop-metal bandwagon with 1986's overly slick Waiting for the Roar. Coming off like a second-rate Quiet Riot, the synth-laden album also introduced keyboardist and sometimes-second guitarist Shane Carroll, but rightly fell upon deaf ears. An offer to provide the soundtrack for the heavy metal horror flick Trick or Treat seemed like a perfect shot at redemption, but despite a welcome return to harder-edged fare, the movie was a flop; the album followed suit, and the band soon broke up in dismay.

Clarke would have one final go at it, however. Signing to independent GWR Records (ironically, also Motörhead's label at the time), he drafted an entirely new lineup, featuring vocalist Lea Hart, bassist Paul Gray, and drummer Steve Clarke, for 1988's On Target (which was anything but). Further personnel changes preceded 1990's swan song Bad Bad Girls, which saw Clarke and Hart allegedly backed by old pals Girlschool, working under aliases for contractual reasons. Another resounding flop, the album finally convinced Clarke that it was time to hang up his spurs."

Note that their album from a few years ago, "Eat Dog Eat" is not mentioned. Sad since it's a pretty good album.

There's no review for "Waiting For The Roar" on allmusic.com, but they do give it 3 stars. What's odd is that they give the debut 2 1/2 stars but the actual review is quite positive. "All Fired Up" also gets 3 stars, for those wondering. 

This is a very keyboard heavy album. It's almost like they sold out and tried to make an album that would appeal to the masses. This was the mid-80's and metal was becoming more poppier so the little kiddies could understand. Compared to the first two albums, this album is a major step back. Along with the use of keyboards, the drums sound like a product of the 80's.

However, starting with song #5, a Janis Joplin cover, this album actually get much better. There's geetar™ throughout the album, but the geetar™ seems more prevalent on the remaining seven songs. Maybe it's just me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Reading about this album back when it came out and reading about it now, you would think that it's a complete disaster. It's not, it's really quite enjoyable (mostly). I might be one of the few, but I really like the song "Girl". In a way, it reminds me of the Davey Jones song, but much heavier. 

That's all I got.

Waiting For The Roar

1. The World Waits For You
2. Kill Me With Your Heart
3. Tired Of Your Love
4. Change
5. Move Over
6. Little By Little
7. Rock On
8. Waiting For The Roar
9. Girl
10. Back Door Man
11. Doin' Just Fine (Bonus Track)

Availability: The BGO remaster can be had for around $14.

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've owned the debut Fastway on Vinyl, CD and now remastered CD, and I've heard their second LP, and just as you state, never got it ... so I more than qualify to listen to this.

I really liked the opener.  Thought it was quite nice actually, even at seven and a half minutes it played nicely.  As we have learned because of a recent SHT post, openers set the tone!  But the second replaced my happy place, I've also learned it only takes one track to create a buzzkill.   Kill Me With Your Heart?  Buzzkiller!  Tired Of Your Love?  Buzzkiller ... and then..  CHANGE... this isn't quite at the same buzzkilla level as the previous two, but more of a sleeper.  A sleeper much like a lullaby, this just lulls you to sleep.  I sure hope your right about this picking up...

Move Over ...  I took its suggestion and moved over to track 6

and then?  Some nice blues geetar©™ but I think the vocals aren't working here, maybe its the chorus as its not very interesting and too repetitive.  .. and then...

Rock On - a period piece for sure!  Much in the spirit of Pour Some Sugar On Me and all the other tunes that copycatted this style of the era.  Its just an 'eh' attempt.  Kings voice does sound good here though .. and then...

Waiting for the roar, well, it leaves me waiting for the roar.  I kept waiting but all I got was some cheesy thunder sound in the background.  I guess I will have to wait more...  and then ...

Girl, well the opening of the track sounds promising!  While it didn't live up to its opening promise it did turn out to be a very nice track!  Very melodic fastway, and the bits of geetar©™ needed to be much much more!  But we found a second cool song!  ... and then ...

Back Door Man, well...  this could go wrong in so many ways, starting with the title of the track and then the actual song.  Sounds like an afterthought, and I bet, when the band looks back on this album they happily ignore this one.  Just like I am doing right now ... and then ...

Doin' Just Fine seems like a cool closer, where has this been?  I like the riff, could do without the keyboards in the background, but geetar©™ is geetar©™ and when its good it very good. 

So, tracks, 1, 9, and 11 make this a good listen, the others?  eh ...  bit and pieces of moments mixed in with buzzkillers.  But a worthwhile listen anyway!

1. Good song.  This does sound like a band trying to be more radio friendly.  This first track even sounds a bit like Great White vocally.  However, they need to clip about the last 3 minutes.

2. Yep, this sounds a lot like GW vocally.  The keyboards are killing this song.

3. Nice riff on this tune.  This is better, the keyboards don't bother me as much.  And did I mention this has a killer riff?  Best song so far...

4. Decent 6 minute ballad.  

5. Decent cover.  What's with all of these 5-6 minute songs?  Running time for this song should have been 3 minutes.  It has now become annoying.

6. Now the vocalist sounds like Jack Russell trying to sound like Robert Plant.  I don't know, I kinda like the chorus.

7. The track length for this song is better, but the song is very cheesy.

8. More cheese.  Straight outta Wisconsin.

9. This is definitely a pick up from the previous few songs.  Killer guitar.

10. By this time, I'm totally indifferent to this song.

11. By this time, I'm totally indifferent to this song.

So, as usual, Jon prefers the second half, I prefer the first half.  Oh, and I do own the first album.  So you can forget about me leaving and not coming back.  Besides, then you and everyone else would have to leave as well (since I pay the bill and all).

I offered to send $1, but you refused.

In the words of Spandau Ballet...true.

Best reply I've read in a long time. Hahaha

Hey, that's my move they stole.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)