Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection is the 1987 release from Supertramp, "Free As A Bird".

This is one of those albums that I didn't know existed until years after its release. Maybe I was still living in a dream from the Mets winning the '86 World Series, maybe I was paying attention to albums released in '87 or maybe there was no hype surrounding this particular album. Who knows.

Maybe nobody really cared any longer. There was the mega-selling "Breakfast In America" followed by "...Famous Last Words.." which, even though the album charted quite high throughout the world, sold much less than the previous album. 

Then came the highly underrated "Brother Where You Bound" which sold less than FLW. The sales decline continued with "Free As A Bird" and Supertramp was no more until 1997 when "Some Things Never Change" was released.

Some people might point to the departure of Roger Hodgson following FLW as the end of Supertramp, but I point right back, making sure to poke them in the eye, and mention BWYB. 

Allmusic.com doesn't like this album, hence this rather long-winded review:

"Lacking the pop sensibilities of Breakfast in America and ...Famous Last Words..., as well as the jazzy fusions of Brother Where You Bound, Free as a Bird is a colorless and tuneless collection of prog rock meandering distinguished only by the fact that future Crowded House guitarist Mark Hart was featured on the recording."

I guess it's not a bad album, but it's quite forgettable. You'll listen to it and then you won't remember what you just heard. In a way, that's kind of nice. Every time you listen to this album, it'll be like you're listening to something new each time. So, it's got that going for it.  

I must admit that the last song is quite good. Off the top of my head, it seems that Supertramp has quite a few great last album tracks. Hmmmm......

Free As A Bird

1. It's Alright
2. Not The Moment
3. It Doesn't Matter
4. Where I Stand
5. Free As A Bird
6. I'm Beggin' You
7. You Never Can Tell With Friends
8. Thing For You
9. An Awful Thing To Waste

Availability: The remastered version runs around $30 while the non-remastered version runs around $9. Guess you have choices.

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More like a Rick Davies solo album.  BWYB had some Hodgson influence and production like qualities that made it a true hidden treasure, but this one doesn't really work.  Someone has forgotten that Hodgons songwriting was still part of BWYB.  hmmm...  Anyway - Gone are the witty lyrical word play, the uniqueness of how the drummer interacted with the band, the production, oh the production and the tension between Davies and Hodgson that I think lifted the songs to great levels.

It doesn't start off well, the tunes are generic and sound nothing like Supertramp.  And then there's this ray of hope in the tune "It Doesn't Matter" - a nice tune that reminds me of the "Crisis? What Crisis?" era.  And then its gone.  Back to late 80's period pieces but with pieces and parts that remind me of BWYB, EITQM, and even FLW's...

The closer is cool, probably my favorite track here.  Has anyone noticed that since I first posted the one and only Closers playlist that we talk about them more?  (You are welcome!)

Its not really a bad album! It's just not what you'd expect, it's a change of direction that fell a bit short.  Probably the band was hoping it would take with their core fans, but I don think it worked.

Nice Davies solo album, but that's about it.

So.......you like it!

I do...  I used to own it, but returned it to the used store some time ago.  I found that it just sat collecting dust and I had no real desire to listen to it.  This was a nice reminder of a nice album, but I'm afraid it will be another 10-11 years before I enjoy hearing it again.

I can post it again next week if you so desire.

Gee thanks!!!  But I'm good...

Well now, I must say, Jon is right about something.  This is pretty much forgettable from beginning to end.  Track one is bland and totally forgettable, while track two is a bit better, but not great.  Same with track three.  The fourth song is just not good.  You guys think the closer is good.  Probably the best song here, but I'd stop short of calling it good.  The guitar playing on that final track is pretty good, though.

Sounds pretty much like an attempt at something in the pop realm.  Hey, on the bright side, at least I can say I have heard it.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos